How to Calculate Heat Flux Through a Quebracho Wood Stick?

In summary, the American hardwood quebracho has different thermal conductivities in different directions (##14W/mK## in the axial direction, ##10W/mK## perpendicular to the fibers, and ##11W/mK## parallel to the fibers). From a large block of wood, a 10 cm long stick with a radius of 4mm is cut out in a direction that forms the same angles with all eigen axes. The stick is then isolated and placed on ice, resulting in a temperature difference of 10K between the ends of the stick. The heat flux through the stick is calculated using the equation ##\vec{j}=-\lambda \nabla T## with the thermal conductivity tensor ##\lambda## and the
skrat

Homework Statement

American hardwood quebracho has thermal conductivity ##14W/mK## in axial direction, ##10W/mK## in radial direction and ##11W/mK## in ##z## direction. From a large block of wood we cut out a 10 cm long stick with radius ##4mm## in direction that forms the same angles with all eigen axes. We isolate the stick and put it on ice, so that the temperature difference between the ends of the stick is ##10K##.

Calculate the heat flux through the stick!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec{j}=-\lambda \nabla T## so ##\nabla T=-\lambda ^{-1}\vec{j}##

For the whole block of wood ##\lambda =\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda _\varphi & & \\
& \lambda _R & \\
& & \lambda _z
\end{bmatrix}## and since this is a diagonal tensor than ##\lambda ^{-1}=\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\lambda _\varphi} & & \\
& \frac{1}{\lambda _R} & \\
& & \frac{1}{\lambda _z}
\end{bmatrix}##

Also, vector j in the same system is ##\vec{j}=j(sin(45°)cos(45°),sin(45°)sin(45°),cos(45)=j(1/2,1/2,\sqrt{2}/2)##

So ##\nabla T=-\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\lambda _\varphi} & & \\
& \frac{1}{\lambda _R} & \\
& & \frac{1}{\lambda _z}
\end{bmatrix}j\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2}\\
\frac{1}{2}\\
\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}
\end{bmatrix}=-j\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }\\
\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}\\
\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z}
\end{bmatrix}## in the system of this big block of wood.

Now I would have to rotate ##\nabla T## into the system of the stick! I think this is how this is done (for c=cos and s=sin) ##\nabla T^{'}=R_xR_y\nabla T=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0& c & -s\\
0& s & c
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
c & 0 &-s \\
0& 1 & 0\\
s& 0 & c
\end{bmatrix}(-j)\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }\\
\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}\\
\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z}
\end{bmatrix}=-j\begin{bmatrix}
c\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }-s\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z} \\
c\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}-s(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }+c\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z}) \\
s\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}+c(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }+c\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z})
\end{bmatrix}##

Now we know that ##\Delta T=\int _{-h/2}^{h/2}\nabla T_z^{'}dz^{'}=-j\int _{-h/2}^{h/2}(\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}+c(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }+c\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z})) dz^{'}=-j(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}+c(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }+c\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z}))h##

The rotation angle was of course for 45°, therefore ##\Delta T=-j(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _R}+c(s\frac{1}{2\lambda _\varphi }+c\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2\lambda _z}))h=-j(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4\lambda _R}+\frac{1}{4\lambda _\varphi }+\frac{1}{4\lambda _z })##

therefore ##j=\frac{-4\Delta T}{(\sqrt{2}/\lambda _R+1/\lambda _\varphi +1/\lambda _z)h}## where of course ##\Delta T<0##

This should be the answer IF i am not mistaken? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference between the axial direction and the z direction?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What is the difference between the axial direction and the z direction?

Chet

Hmmm, let me try to translate that part again...

"Thermal conductivity in the direction of fibers is ##14 W/mK##, perpendicular to the fibers ##10W/mK## and ##11W/mK## parallel to the fibers. That would be the exact translation and the way I understood this is that in polar coordinates the first axis in the direction of ##\varphi ##, second one is radial and the third one is vertical (##z##).

skrat said:
Hmmm, let me try to translate that part again...

"Thermal conductivity in the direction of fibers is ##14 W/mK##, perpendicular to the fibers ##10W/mK## and ##11W/mK## parallel to the fibers. That would be the exact translation and the way I understood this is that in polar coordinates the first axis in the direction of ##\varphi ##, second one is radial and the third one is vertical (##z##).
So the fibers are oriented circumferentially, correct?

Chet

That's how I understand it, yes.

If the rod makes the same angle with all 3 principal axes, the three direction cosines must be equal. So what is the direction cosine of the rod with respect to each of the three axes? From this, what is the equation for a unit vector in the direction of the rod in terms of the unit vectors in the three principal directions? If the sides of the rod are insulated, what is the direction of the temperature gradient (neglecting end effects)?

Chet

Unit vector in the direction of the rod is ##\vec{s}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}(1,1,1)## meaning the angle with the principal axes is in fact ##arccos(\frac{\vec{s}\cdot (0,0,1)}{1})=arcos(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3})=54.74°## and not 45° as I originally thought.

The temperature gradient has the same direction as the rood.

skrat said:
Unit vector in the direction of the rod is ##\vec{s}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}(1,1,1)## meaning the angle with the principal axes is in fact ##arccos(\frac{\vec{s}\cdot (0,0,1)}{1})=arcos(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3})=54.74°## and not 45° as I originally thought.

The temperature gradient has the same direction as the rood.
So, let the magnitude of the temperature gradient along the rod be dT/dl. Now you know the magnitude and direction of the temperature gradient. So, if you dot the temperature gradient with the thermal conductivity tensor, you get the heat flux vector.

Chet

so ##\nabla T=\frac{dT}{dl}## meaning ##j_z=\lambda _z\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\Delta T## is the answer?

skrat said:
so ##\nabla T=\frac{dT}{dl}## meaning ##j_z=\lambda _z\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\Delta T## is the answer?
The problem statement is very ambiguous. Do they mean that the direction of the heat flux is along the axis of the rod, or do they mean that the direction of the temperature gradient is along the axis of the rod? Your guess is as good as mine. If the direction of the temperature gradient is along the direction of the rod, then

##j_z=\lambda _z\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\frac{dT}{dl}##
##j_r=\lambda _r\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\frac{dT}{dl}##
##j_θ=\lambda _θ\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\frac{dT}{dl}##

But, for this case, there will be heat flux normal to the surface of the rod (even though the temperature gradient is oriented along the rod axis).

If the direction of the heat flux is along the axis of the rod (so that no heat leaves through the cylindrical surface of the rod), the one must determine dT/dr, dT/dz, and dT/dθ such that the heat flux components normal to the surface of the rod are zero.

Do you have any idea which they mean?

Chet

hmmm, I asked today to get a detailed explanation and as it turns out, the heat flux is in the direction of the rod and not the gradient.

Knowing that, my solution sounds something like:

##\nabla T=-\lambda ^{-1}\vec{j}## where ##\vec{j}=j\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}=j\hat{n}##

so ##\nabla T=-\lambda ^{-1}\vec{j}=-\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda _1 & & \\
& \lambda _2 & \\
& & \lambda _3
\end{bmatrix}j\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}=-j\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\lambda _1 }\\
\frac{1}{\lambda _2 }\\
\frac{1}{\lambda _3 }
\end{bmatrix}##

We also know that ##\nabla T\cdot \hat{n}=-j\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\lambda _1 }\\
\frac{1}{\lambda _2 }\\
\frac{1}{\lambda _3 }
\end{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}=-\frac{j}{3}(\lambda _{1}^{-1}+\lambda _{2}^{-1}+\lambda _{3}^{-1})=\frac{\Delta T}{l}##

From where ##j=\frac{3\Delta T}{l(\lambda _{1}^{-1}+\lambda _{2}^{-1}+\lambda _{3}^{-1})}##

Yes. This looks OK to me.

Chet

Related to How to Calculate Heat Flux Through a Quebracho Wood Stick?

1. What are tensors in mathematical physics?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different quantities in a physical system. They are used to represent the physical properties of objects, such as their mass, velocity, and orientation, and can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems under different conditions.

2. How are tensors used in mathematical physics?

Tensors are used in mathematical physics to describe the relationships between different physical quantities, such as force, energy, and momentum. They are also used to express the laws of mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fundamental physical theories in a concise and elegant manner.

3. What is the difference between a tensor and a vector?

A vector is a special case of a tensor, specifically a rank-1 tensor, which has both magnitude and direction. Tensors, on the other hand, can have multiple components and can represent more complex relationships between physical quantities.

4. How are tensors represented mathematically?

Tensors are typically represented using matrices or arrays of numbers. The number of indices in a tensor determines its rank, and the values in the array represent the components of the tensor. Different rules and operations can be applied to tensors to manipulate and analyze their properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of tensors in mathematical physics?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in various fields of physics, including general relativity, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to study the behavior of materials under stress, model the behavior of particles in quantum systems, and analyze the dynamics of fluids and gases in motion.