How to Calculate Heat Loss in an Aluminum Pipe with Fluid Flow?

In summary, The question asks for the amount of heat lost through the walls of a 1m long aluminum pipe with outer radius 3.5 cm and inner radius 3 cm, carrying fluid with temperature 30°C while the temperature around the pipe is 20°C. The heat lost can be calculated using the formula Q=XS(T2-T1)*τ/L, where X is the heat conductivity of aluminum, τ is the time in hours, and L is the thickness of the pipe. The solution provided a value of 0.88 GJ, but the student's attempt resulted in a value of 0.85 GJ. The student suspects an error in the formula due to incorrect values for the thickness of the pipe
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

Through a pipe made of aluminum, length of 1m which outer radius is r1=3,5 cm and inner radius is r2=3 cm flows a fluid with temperature of t1= 30 °C. How much heat does get lost through the walls of the pipe, in [tex]\tau[/tex]=3h if the temperature around the pipe is 20 °C. Heat conductivity of aluminum is [tex]\chi[/tex]=210 W/mK

Homework Equations

Heat lost: Q=XS(T2-T1)*[tex]\tau[/tex]/L

where L is thickness of the pipe.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I get the roughly 0,85 GJ.
But the solution says its 0,88 GJ and that a bit difference when you are talking about GIGA Jules.

I think I got the thickness of the pipe wrong and surface area through which heat is being transferred.

Can anybody help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Close the thread, I got the formula wrong. Btw can anybody here give me a good link with good theory with conduction of heat?

Related to How to Calculate Heat Loss in an Aluminum Pipe with Fluid Flow?

1. What is the purpose of using aluminum pipes for heat conduction?

Aluminum is a highly conductive material, meaning it can easily transfer heat from one place to another. Using aluminum pipes for heat conduction allows for efficient and effective heat transfer, making it a popular choice in various industries such as HVAC, automotive, and aerospace.

2. How does the diameter of aluminum pipes affect heat conduction?

The diameter of aluminum pipes can impact heat conduction in several ways. A larger diameter pipe can hold more fluid, which can increase the amount of heat transferred. However, a smaller diameter pipe has a smaller surface area, which can cause faster heat loss. In general, larger diameter pipes are more efficient for heat conduction.

3. Is the thickness of aluminum pipes important for heat conduction?

Yes, the thickness of aluminum pipes plays a significant role in heat conduction. Thicker pipes have a lower thermal resistance, meaning they can transfer heat more easily. However, thicker pipes also have a higher cost and weight, so the appropriate thickness should be determined based on the specific application.

4. How does the temperature difference affect heat conduction in aluminum pipes?

The temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of an aluminum pipe directly affects the rate of heat conduction. The greater the temperature difference, the faster heat will transfer through the pipe. This is known as the temperature gradient, and it is a crucial factor in designing efficient heat transfer systems.

5. What are some factors that can affect the heat conduction capacity of aluminum pipes?

The heat conduction capacity of aluminum pipes can be affected by various factors, including the type and thickness of insulation, the flow rate of the fluid, the pipe material and surface finish, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the pipe. It is essential to consider all of these factors when designing a heat transfer system to ensure optimal efficiency.