How to Calculate Heat Needed to Convert Ice to Steam at Different Temperatures?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of heat needed to warm 150g of ice from -10C to produce steam at 110C. Relevant equations such as Q= mcdeltat and Q= mlf are mentioned, along with given values for Cice, Lf, Cwater, and Lv. The person attempted to solve the problem but their calculations were incorrect. They are seeking guidance on the correct formulas and steps to find the solution, which is 109.5 kcal.
domyy

Homework Statement

Calculate the amount of heat to be added to warm 150g of ice from -10celsius to produce steam at 110C?

Homework Equations

I believe some relevant equations would be :
Q= mcdeltat
Q= mlf

I also have some values as:

Cice= 0.5 Cal/gcelsius
Lf= 80 Cal/g

C water= 1.0 Cal/gC

Steam= 0.5cal/gC
Lv = 540cal/g

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is wrong. I just know the answer, but I want to learn how to get to it. Thank you all in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi domyy! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

What did is wrong. I tried something simple but there's probably more that I do not know.
I did:

Q = 150g . 0.5 Cal/gC. 100C = 7500

Also tried,

Q= mlf = 150g . 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But I know the answer is 109.5 kcal.

domyy said:
What did is wrong. I tried something simple but there's probably more that I do not know.
I did:

Q = 150g . 0.5 Cal/gC. 100C = 7500

Also tried,

Q= mlf = 150g . 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But I know the answer is 109.5 kcal.

sorry, i can't follow that

you seem to have left some things out

can you please write it out properly?

Q = 150g x 0.5cal/gC x 100C = 7500

C= Celsius

Q = mLf = 150g x 80 Cal/g = 12,000

But it's wrong. The answer is 109.5 kcal. I need to know the formulas or steps I am missing. The problem is more than that. I believe I am supposed to find several values through equations and sum them.

Related to How to Calculate Heat Needed to Convert Ice to Steam at Different Temperatures?

What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature measures the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from a warmer object to a cooler one.

How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a substance that expands or contracts with changes in temperature.

What is the relationship between temperature and the state of matter?

Temperature affects the state of matter. As temperature increases, particles in a substance gain kinetic energy and move more rapidly, causing a change in state from solid to liquid to gas.

How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer can occur through conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

How does temperature affect chemical reactions?

Temperature can affect the rate of a chemical reaction. Increasing the temperature typically increases the speed of the reaction, as it provides more energy for the particles to collide and react.