How to Calculate Inductance Using a General Impedance Converter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of GIC rules to calculate the inductance for a RCL circuit with the values R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, and C2. The formula used is X = (Z1*Z3*Z5)/(Z2*Z4) and the resulting inductance is found to be 1 mH. The circuit's frequency is then analyzed using the formula w = 1/(sqrt(LC)) and a frequency of 5032.92Hz is obtained. There is confusion regarding the placement of Vin in the circuit, with different attempts resulting in different frequencies. There is a request for feedback on the correctness of the solutions.
foobag
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9356/capturexh.jpg

Attempt at Solution:

Well I put R1 and C1 in my RCL circuit, and then used the GIC rules to calculate the "L" inductance for the remainder of the circuit using R2,R3,R4,R5, and C2.

So I did X = (Z1*Z3*Z5)/(Z2*Z4)

where Z1=R2, Z2 = R3, Z3=R4, Z4= C2, and Z5 = R5

with the values I got X = L = 1 mH

Then my RCL circuit had Vin connected to R1, C1, and the new found "L" impedance

i used the formula w = 1/(sqrt(LC)) where w = 2pif

so I found fo = 5032.92Hz after plugging in the values.

is this correct so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
any feedback at all please?!

FAQ: How to Calculate Inductance Using a General Impedance Converter?

What is a General Impedance Converter?

A General Impedance Converter (GIC) is an electronic circuit that is used to convert an impedance value from one type to another. It can convert between resistive, capacitive, and inductive impedances, making it a versatile tool for many applications.

How does a General Impedance Converter work?

A General Impedance Converter consists of an operational amplifier and several passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The operational amplifier acts as a voltage-controlled voltage source, which can manipulate the impedance value at its input to match the desired output impedance.

What are the advantages of using a General Impedance Converter?

One of the main advantages of using a General Impedance Converter is its ability to convert between different types of impedances without the need for additional components. It also has a wide frequency range and can be easily modified for different impedance ratios.

What are some common applications of a General Impedance Converter?

General Impedance Converters are commonly used in electronic filters, signal conditioning circuits, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in instrumentation and measurement systems for impedance matching and conversion.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a General Impedance Converter?

One limitation of a General Impedance Converter is that it requires a stable power supply and may be sensitive to noise and interference. It also has a limited power handling capability and may not be suitable for high-power applications.