How to Calculate Mechanical and Electromagnetic Damping?

In summary, the system being discussed consists of a coil and magnet, with the magnet resting on a spring and being free to move up and down in the coil. This system can be modeled as a simple mass-spring-damper system with a damping coefficient that includes both mechanical and electromagnetic damping. The general method for solving this problem involves writing lumped-element circuit equations for the electrical and mechanical portions, then determining an electromechanical transducer 2-port network between the two circuits. The power output of the system can be calculated using the induced voltage formula and the electrical damping coefficient can be found using the formula provided in the conversation. However, it is important to note that this approach may not apply if the magnet is not entirely within the
henlus
I will appreciate any contribtion to the question below. > You have a system that consists of a coil and magnet. The magnet, which is resting on a spring, is free to move up and down in the coil. This system can be modeled as a simple mass-spring-damper system with a damping coefficient that consists of the mechanical and electromagnetic damping. - the question here is the formula i can use to calculate the mechanical and electromagnetic damping. Thanks as you contribute.

Physics news on Phys.org
henlus said:
I will appreciate any contribtion to the question below. > You have a system that consists of a coil and magnet. The magnet, which is resting on a spring, is free to move up and down in the coil. This system can be modeled as a simple mass-spring-damper system with a damping coefficient that consists of the mechanical and electromagnetic damping. - the question here is the formula i can use to calculate the mechanical and electromagnetic damping. Thanks as you contribute.

The general way to solve it systematically:

1. Write lumped-element circuit equations for the electrical portion
  2. Write lumped-element circuit equations for the mechanical portion (mass-spring-damper are analogous to inductor-capacitor-resistor, respectively, only the KVL/KCL of electrical circuits don't apply but instead you use mechanical rules)
  3. Determine an electromechanical transducer 2-port network between the two circuits that defines the conversion and impedances - just like h- or y- or z- parameters

Doing this you get most of the solution using simple circuit analysis and linear algebra.

jsgruszynski said:
The general way to solve it systematically:

Write lumped-element circuit equations for the electrical portion...

Thank you for your contribution sgruszynski, i will put up an attempt at solution soon.

Hello. If the magnet is entirely within the cylinder of the coil and the coil is large enough, we can approximate all flux lines as contained within the coil (except those that are parallel to the axis). If this is the case, then no current will flow in the coil, because the magnet has two poles that are each inducing equal but opposite currents:
[tex]\dfrac{\delta {\bf B_{top}}}{\delta t} = \dfrac{\delta {\bf B_{bottom}}}{\delta t} [/tex]
In this case all damping would be mechanical.

I'm guessing that in your problem the above condition is not the case, which suggests that
[tex]\dfrac{\delta \Phi}{\delta t}[/tex]
will be a more complicated expression. Would you mind providing some additional information? The resistance of the coil may need to be known.

Best of luck

Sorry for my long delay. Preparation for a seminar defence has been tying me down. @jsgruszynski > the lumped circuit equation for the electrical portion is Lq''+Rq'+kq=e(t). That of mechanical portion is mx''+Cx'+kx=f(t). I don't know how to get an expression 4 the damping coefficient, C from here. I know that for a mass-spring-damper system whereby the mass is a magnet that moves in a coil of wire, the damping consists of mechanical and electrical damping coeff. Also, how can I get an expression 4 the power output of such a setup, assumming f(t) to be sinusoidal (eg 5sint) @wil3 > the magnet is not entirely within the cylinder of the coil and the magnet is just slightly smaller than the coil. This system is just like a simple linear generator. >The coil resistance is not actually known but I know it can be calculated from the resistivity & length of the wire. What i actually want to know is an expression for the 2 damping coefficients and the power output when the magnet is moved with a sinusoidal forcing function for example.

jsgruszynski said:
There is some content in these documents that should help. Basically your electromechanical transform matrix this damping component (it's both mechanical and electrical).

http://www-lar.deis.unibo.it/euron-geoplex-sumsch/files/lectures_2/lectures-batlle.pdf

http://www-ma4.upc.edu/~carles/Modeling of electromechanical systems.pdf

The "elementary electromagnet" shows the mechanical and electrical transform. This also addresses some of the "not entirely in" aspects.

I have downloaded the two ebooks and looked into them, but I couldn't read much meaning into them. If you can help me with a step by step solution I will appreciate it. However, let me make the following attempt at solution:

I wish to calculate the power output of the system when it is vibrating. The induced voltage is given by:
E=N*B*v(t)
N=number of turns of the coil; B=magnetic flux density; v(t)= velocity of the magnet wrt time.
N & B can easily be known. To calculate v(t), I intend differentiating the displacement formula for an overdamp mass-spring-damper system.

my"+cy'+ky=F(t) ……..mechanical equation

where m=mass of the magnet
c=damping coefficient
k=spring constant
y=displacement of the magnet
y’=velocity of the magnet
y’’=acceleration of the magnet

With v(t) known, I can calculate power output from:
Power=(E)^2/R

I found the electrical damping coefficient to be:
Ce=(NBl)^2/(Ri+RL+jwL)

Where Ce=electrical damping
l=length of wire
Ri=wire resistance
RL=coil resistance
L=inductance of the coil
w=angular frequency
j=complex number
Is my approach correct?

Fig 4 and sect 2.5 describe the relevant model for what you're talking about.

jsgruszynski said:
Fig 4 and sect 2.5 describe the relevant model for what you're talking about.

I have gone through Fig 4 and section 2.5. Actually I have come across that configuration in one of my ebooks, but the configuration is very different from the one I'm working on. Mine is just a magnet moving in a coil of wire as shown in the diagrams.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 490
  • phy.gif
    phy.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 553
henlus said:
I have gone through Fig 4 and section 2.5. Actually I have come across that configuration in one of my ebooks, but the configuration is very different from the one I'm working on. Mine is just a magnet moving in a coil of wire as shown in the diagrams.

Think of the magnetic flux path as a circuit. Broken into pieces, it's equivalent. The bits in the coil are the same as the model's coiled section. The bits outside of the coil are equivalent to the moving iron. There is no actual gap but there is a variance in the partition between [itex]\phi[/itex]l and [itex]\phi[/itex]m based on the offset of the slug.

The magnet's polarization is just an offset to be added in compared to just iron which is a zero polarization offset.

Hi jsgruszynski, thanks for coming back.

Actually, I don't really understand most of what you said. Can you please go through the attempt at solution and tell me if I'm correct. I just want an expression for the power output of the arrangement.

FAQ: How to Calculate Mechanical and Electromagnetic Damping?

What is electromagnetic damping?

Electromagnetic damping is a type of damping force that occurs when an electrically conductive material moves through a magnetic field. It is caused by the resistance of the material to the flow of electromagnetic energy, which results in the dissipation of energy and a decrease in the amplitude of the motion.

How does electromagnetic damping work?

Electromagnetic damping works by converting kinetic energy of a moving object into electrical energy, which is then dissipated as heat. This is achieved through the interaction between a magnetic field and an electrically conductive material, such as a metal coil or plate.

What are the applications of electromagnetic damping?

Electromagnetic damping has a variety of applications, including in mechanical systems to reduce vibrations and improve stability, in precision instruments to dampen unwanted oscillations, and in electrical systems to protect against power surges and electrical interference.

What are the advantages of electromagnetic damping?

One of the main advantages of electromagnetic damping is its ability to provide strong and adjustable damping forces without physical contact. This makes it a reliable and low-maintenance solution for controlling vibrations and minimizing wear and tear in mechanical systems.

Are there any limitations to electromagnetic damping?

While electromagnetic damping has many benefits, it also has some limitations. It is most effective at low speeds and may not be suitable for high-speed applications. Additionally, it can produce a significant amount of heat, which may need to be managed in certain systems.