How to Calculate Minimum Time for a Sportscar to Travel Half a Mile?

In summary, to find the minimum time required to travel 1/2 mile in a sportscar that can accelerate to 120 mph in 30 seconds and has a maximum braking rate of 0.7g, we need to incorporate the braking rate into the calculation. This can be done by finding the distance over which the car must accelerate and decelerate, and then solving for the time that maximizes the average speed. This can be achieved by setting up equations that take into account the acceleration and deceleration of the car.
tronter
A sportscar can accelerate uniformly to [tex] 120 \frac{mi}{h} [/tex] in [tex] 30 \ s [/tex]. Its maximum braking rate cannot exceed [tex] 0.7g [/tex]. What is the minimum time required to go [tex] \frac{1}{2} \ mi [/tex], assuming that it begins and ends at rest.

So [tex] 120 = 0 + 30a, \ a = 4 [/tex].

Then [tex] \frac{1}{2} = 2t^{2} [/tex]. But I know I have to incorporate the braking rate.

How would I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure that the accelerations are in the same units.

120 mph = 176 ft/s and the acceleration from 0 to 176 ft/s in 30 s is 5.867 ft/s2, and the magnitude of deceleration is 0.7*9.81 ft/s2 = 6.867 ft/s2.

Now over 0.5 mile or 2640 ft, if the car accelerates over distance d ft, then it must decelerate over distance (2640 - d) ft, and one must find d such that t is minimized, or the average speed is maximized since v(avg) = 2640 ft/t, where t is the time to travel 1/2 mile.

So then we have [tex] at_1 - 0.7gt_2 = 0 [/tex] and [tex] 2640 = \frac{1}{2}(at_{1}^{2} - 0.7gt_{2}^{2}) [/tex] and solve for [tex] t_1 [/tex] and [tex] t_2 [/tex]?So then [tex] t = t_1 + t_2 [/tex]?

Related to How to Calculate Minimum Time for a Sportscar to Travel Half a Mile?

1. What causes the sportscar acceleration problem?

The sportscar acceleration problem can have various causes, such as mechanical issues with the engine, transmission, or fuel system, as well as driver error or insufficient maintenance. It is important to diagnose the specific cause in order to properly address and resolve the issue.

2. How can I improve the acceleration of my sportscar?

Improving the acceleration of a sportscar can be achieved through various methods, such as upgrading the engine or transmission, optimizing the fuel system, reducing the car's weight, and improving aerodynamics. However, it is important to note that any modifications should be done carefully and with the guidance of a professional to avoid causing further problems.

3. Is the sportscar acceleration problem dangerous?

The sportscar acceleration problem can be dangerous if it is not addressed and resolved properly. It can lead to unexpected and potentially hazardous situations, such as loss of control or accidents. It is important to take any acceleration issues seriously and have them addressed by a professional as soon as possible.

4. Can the sportscar acceleration problem be fixed?

In most cases, the sportscar acceleration problem can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying cause. However, the extent and cost of the repairs will depend on the specific issue. It is important to consult with a professional mechanic to determine the best course of action for fixing the acceleration problem.

5. How often should I have my sportscar checked for acceleration issues?

It is recommended to have your sportscar checked for acceleration issues during regular maintenance appointments. However, if you notice any unusual behavior or changes in the car's performance, it is important to have it checked by a professional as soon as possible to prevent any potential safety hazards.