How to Calculate Moles of Carbon and Oxygen in a Given Amount of CaCO3?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, given 0.50 moles of CaCO3 with a molar mass of 100.9 g/mol, the number of moles of carbon present is 0.5 and the number of moles of oxygen present is 1.5. This is found using the equation n=m/M, where n is the number of moles, m is the mass, and M is the molar mass. The ratio of carbon to oxygen atoms does not change regardless of the number of molecules collected.
Sace Ver

Homework Statement

In 0.50 moles of CaCO3 how many moles of carbon are present? How many moles of oxygen are present?

Given:
0.50 moles of CaCO3
Molar mass is 100.9 g/mol

Homework Equations

n=m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to do this question would I begin by finding the mass?

Because if so the mass of CaCO3 would be 50.45 g I'm assuming because m=nM.

But then I do not know where to go from there would I find the mass of each of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sace Ver said:

Homework Statement

In 0.50 moles of CaCO3 how many moles of carbon are present? How many moles of oxygen are present?

Given:
0.50 moles of CaCO3
Molar mass is 100.9 g/mol

Homework Equations

n=m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to do this question would I begin by finding the mass?

Because if so the mass of CaCO3 would be 50.45 g I'm assuming because m=nM.

But then I do not know where to go from there would I find the mass of each of them?
You don't need to know the mass of CaCO3 to figure out how many moles of each constituent there are. You just need to know how many moles of CaCO3 you start with.

Look at it this way. How many molecules of a substance are in one mole of that substance?

If you know there is one atom of element X in each molecule, how many moles of X will there be for each mole of the substance?

SteamKing said:
You don't need to know the mass of CaCO3 to figure out how many moles of each constituent there are. You just need to know how many moles of CaCO3 you start with.

Look at it this way. How many molecules of a substance are in one mole of that substance?

If you know there is one atom of element X in each molecule, how many moles of X will there be for each mole of the substance?

1 molecule of substance is in one mole of a substance?

There will be 1 mole of C and 3 moles of O ?

Sace Ver said:
1 molecule of substance is in one mole of a substance?

You need to review the definition of mole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

There will be 1 mole of C and 3 moles of O ?

Yes, but not because you think there is one molecule in one mole.

SteamKing said:
You need to review the definition of mole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)
Yes, but not because you think there is one molecule in one mole.
Will I have to use Avogadro's constant to get my answer?

Sace Ver said:
Will I have to use Avogadro's constant to get my answer?
No, but you still need to understand the concept of what a mole is.

A mole is a standard number of molecules of a substance. Think of it as being analogous to what a dozen is. It doesn't matter what we are talking about, be it a dozen doughnuts, or a dozen cars, or a dozen dogs, a dozen means twelve somethings.

Same thing with moles. One mole of a substance contains a standard number of somethings, in this case that number is waaaay more than 12. It is, in fact Avogadro's number of molecules in one mole of a substance.

Now, if one molecule of CaCO3 contains one Calcium atom, one Carbon atom, and three Oxygen atoms, then if we collected a dozen molecules of CaCO3, how many Calcium atoms, Carbon atoms, and Oxygen atoms would we have?
If we collected 10,000 molecules?
One million molecules?
An Avogadro's number of molecules?

Does the ratio of Calcium atoms to Carbon atoms to Oxygen atoms change depending on how many molecules of one substance are collected?

SteamKing said:
No, but you still need to understand the concept of what a mole is.

A mole is a standard number of molecules of a substance. Think of it as being analogous to what a dozen is. It doesn't matter what we are talking about, be it a dozen doughnuts, or a dozen cars, or a dozen dogs, a dozen means twelve somethings.

Same thing with moles. One mole of a substance contains a standard number of somethings, in this case that number is waaaay more than 12. It is, in fact Avogadro's number of molecules in one mole of a substance.

Now, if one molecule of CaCO3 contains one Calcium atom, one Carbon atom, and three Oxygen atoms, then if we collected a dozen molecules of CaCO3, how many Calcium atoms, Carbon atoms, and Oxygen atoms would we have?
If we collected 10,000 molecules?
One million molecules?
An Avogadro's number of molecules?

Does the ratio of Calcium atoms to Carbon atoms to Oxygen atoms change depending on how many molecules of one substance are collected?
The ratio doesn't change, right?

Sace Ver said:
The ratio doesn't change, right?
Right.

SteamKing said:
Right.
Okay I tried this question once again.
Would I first find the number of carbon and oxygen and then find the mole?

SteamKing said:
Right.

The answer would be 0.5 mol of carbon and 1.5 mol of oxygen? Would that be correct?

Sace Ver said:
The answer would be 0.5 mol of carbon and 1.5 mol of oxygen? Would that be correct?

Yes.

Related to How to Calculate Moles of Carbon and Oxygen in a Given Amount of CaCO3?

1. How do you calculate the moles of CaCO3?

To calculate the moles of CaCO3, you will need to know the mass of the substance in grams and its molar mass. Then, you can use the formula: moles = mass / molar mass.

2. What is the molar mass of CaCO3?

The molar mass of CaCO3 is 100.0869 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of calcium, carbon, and oxygen (40.078 + 12.011 + 3(15.999) = 100.0869).

3. Can you give an example of calculating moles of CaCO3?

Sure, let's say we have 50 grams of CaCO3. Using the formula, we can calculate the moles as follows: moles = 50 g / 100.0869 g/mol = 0.499 moles.

4. Why is it important to calculate moles of CaCO3?

Calculating moles of CaCO3 is important because it allows us to accurately measure the amount of the substance in a given sample. This is useful in various fields such as chemistry, environmental science, and manufacturing.

5. How is the number of moles related to the number of particles of CaCO3?

The number of moles and the number of particles of CaCO3 are directly proportional. This means that as the number of moles increases, the number of particles also increases. This relationship is based on Avogadro's constant, which states that 1 mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles.