How to Calculate Moment of Inertia for a Rotating Solid Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating moment of inertia in physics, specifically for a rotating solid wheel. The formula for moment of inertia is mentioned and the use of integrals is also addressed. The individual asks for further explanation and advice on how to apply the formula.
Dweirdo
EDIT:
Damn! wrote that in the wrong forum!
mods please move to introductory physics!
thanks

Hi,
I'm learning by myself physics of rigid bodies , and I find it kinda hard.
Well, I know calculating the moments of Inertia is useless cause You have a table with all the MoI.
This is not a specific problem i ran into but I'll write it anyway:

Homework Statement

Calculate the Moment of inertia of a rotating(about it's center of mass) solid wheel of mass M( assume it's homogeneous)

Homework Equations

I= integral of something :PPP

The Attempt at a Solution

well i just know that the moment of inertia of a ring of mass M is MR^2/2
seems kinda intuitive,I'd like to know how do I (using integrals) calculate the MoI of a solid sphere as stated above.
Thank you in advance!
Any advice\comment appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]I_{ij}(O)=\int_V dV \rho(r) \left( r^2 \delta_{ij} -r_i r_j \right)[/itex]

latentcorpse said:
[itex]I_{ij}(O)=\int_V dV \rho(r) \left( r^2 \delta_{ij} -r_i r_j \right)[/itex]

Could You explain/expand about the formula? how did You pick the limits and etc.

Related to How to Calculate Moment of Inertia for a Rotating Solid Sphere?

What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating and how much force is needed to change their rotation.

How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the formula I = mr2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of force?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while moment of force is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In other words, moment of inertia is a property of the object itself, while moment of force is a result of external forces acting on the object.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger mass, more spread out mass, and non-symmetrical shapes will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with smaller mass, more concentrated mass, and symmetrical shapes.

Why is it important to calculate moment of inertia in engineering?

In engineering, moment of inertia is used to design and analyze the performance of rotating objects, such as motors, turbines, and wheels. It helps engineers determine the amount of torque and power needed to rotate these objects, as well as how they will respond to external forces and loads.