How to calculate natural frequency of a circular plate

In summary, the individual is attempting to measure the natural frequency of a circular plate component using a Data Physics analyzer. They have found a plate with specific dimensions and used a basic equation to calculate the expected frequency, but the results were significantly lower than expected. They are unsure if their method is correct and are seeking advice. Additionally, they mention that they are using an accelerometer that is taped to the edge of the component.
spggodd
I am trying to get used to using a Data Physics analyzer at work in order to measure the natural frequency of components of a larger project I am involved in, my method described is intentionally crude as I was trying to do this as a quick play around before diving into the real thing..

To start off, I have found a aluminium circular plate component 170mm dia and 10mm thick. It has 7 small thru holes on a 160mm pcd and a 20mm circular boss at the centre of the plate, protruding 30mm on one side.

I have held the component by the central boss and hit it.
I am reading what I think is a natural frequency of 1800 Hz.

To compare, I tried to compare this to simple theory of a circular plate and found the following equation:

wn =B √(Et3/ρa4(1-ν))

Where:

E = Youngs Mondulus
I = Area Moment of Interia
a = Diameter of the Plate
ν = Poisons Ratio
ρ = Mass Density
B = Constant based on the configuration (Clamped at edge = 11.84, Free at edge = 6.09, Clamped at center = 4.35 and Hinged at edge = 5.90)

I used some general values for the aluminium (ρ=2500kg/m^3, E = 75 GPa, ν=0.33)
I took B = 6.09

I ended up with 187.25 Hz which is way below what I was expecting.

Can anyone spot why I'm so far out or can you advise if my method is not correct?

Many Thanks
Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, the accelerometer I'm using is currently stuck down with duct tape on the outer edge of the component.

|----|
|...| <------- here
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|--------|
|.....|
|----- - -----| - ----- - -----
|.....|
|...|--------|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|----|

I'm by no means an expert here at all but the only thing that jumps out to me is the position & force of the strike. Does that not need to be considered?

Related to How to calculate natural frequency of a circular plate

1. What is the formula for calculating the natural frequency of a circular plate?

The formula for calculating the natural frequency of a circular plate is sqrt[(m/rho)(D/E)], where m is the mass of the plate, rho is the density of the material, D is the flexural rigidity, and E is the Young's modulus of the material.

2. How do I determine the mass of the circular plate?

The mass of the circular plate can be determined by weighing the plate or by using the formula m = rho * V, where rho is the density of the material and V is the volume of the plate.

3. What is the flexural rigidity of a circular plate?

The flexural rigidity of a circular plate is a measure of its resistance to bending and can be calculated using the formula D = (E*h^3)/(12*(1-v^2)), where E is the Young's modulus of the material, h is the thickness of the plate, and v is the Poisson's ratio of the material.

4. How does the natural frequency of a circular plate change with different materials?

The natural frequency of a circular plate is directly proportional to the square root of the material's flexural rigidity and inversely proportional to the square root of its density. Therefore, a stiffer and less dense material will result in a higher natural frequency.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the natural frequency of a circular plate with different boundary conditions?

Yes, the formula for calculating the natural frequency of a circular plate is independent of the boundary conditions. However, the values of the parameters used in the formula may vary depending on the boundary conditions, such as the thickness and material properties of the plate.