How to Calculate Net Electrostatic Force in a Square Configuration?

In summary, there are four charges with a magnitude of 1.98 μC, two positive and two negative, fixed to the corners of a 0.288-m square in a way that the net force on any charge is directed towards the center of the square. The magnitude of the net electrostatic force experienced by any charge can be calculated using the formula F=k q1*q2/ r^2, where k=8.99*10^9. However, in order to accurately calculate the force, the vector components of the E-field from the three closest charges must be taken into account and added together.
smillphysics
There are four charges, each with a magnitude of 1.98 μC. Two are positive and two are negative. The charges are fixed to the corners of a 0.288-m square, one to a corner, in such a way that the net force on any charge is directed toward the center of the square. Calculate the magnitude of the net electrostatic force experienced by any charge

F=k q1*q2/ r^2 --> q1&q2 are absolute values.
k=8.99*10^9

So I used the formula above and said F= (8.99*10^9)*(1.98*10^-6)*(1.98*10^-6)/ .288^2
Then I took that answer and multipled by 2 since it was the same force on the other side. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a careful picture.

For any charge there will necessarily be 2 that attract and 1 that repels.

The ones that are attractive must be on the closest corners of the square and the one that repels is on the diagonal. The force is along the diagonal as described, but you must sum the q*E of the 3 E-field components, keeping in mind that the closest ones are perpendicular to each other in their effect on the charge you are calculating.

It says I have two negative and two positive. I think your post implied that I only have 3 charges instead of 4.

smillphysics said:
It says I have two negative and two positive. I think your post implied that I only have 3 charges instead of 4.

No, I thought I was implying that there are 3 charges exerting forces on the 1 charge.

3 + 1 = 4

The closest 2 are at right angles to the charge you are calculating the force for, whichever it may be.

These forces are vectors, and need to be added as vectors, which your attempted solution apparently fails to take into account.

Related to How to Calculate Net Electrostatic Force in a Square Configuration?

1. What is net electrostatic force?

Net electrostatic force is the total force exerted on an object by all the surrounding charged particles. It is a vector quantity and takes into account the magnitude and direction of the individual electrostatic forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate net electrostatic force?

To calculate net electrostatic force, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual electrostatic force acting on the object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force, which will be the net electrostatic force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for net electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for net electrostatic force is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. What factors affect the magnitude of net electrostatic force?

The magnitude of net electrostatic force is affected by the distance between the charged objects, the amount of charge on each object, and the medium between the objects. The force also depends on the angle between the objects and the type of charge (positive or negative).

5. Can net electrostatic force be repulsive?

Yes, net electrostatic force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the type of charge on the interacting objects. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.

Back