How to Calculate pH of a 0.15 M Solution of Potassium Hydroxide Using Kw Value

• Thread starter D.J Falcon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of hydrogen ion concentration and pH for a 0.15 M solution of potassium hydroxide using the Kw value. The process involves finding the pOH using the concentration of hydroxide ions, and then using the relationship between pH and pOH to calculate the final pH value. The solution was found to have a pH of 13.18.
D.J Falcon

Homework Statement

A strong base cane be assumed to be fully ionised in dilute solution. Use the Kw value to calculate the hydrogen ion concentration and hence the pH of a 0.15 M solution of potassium hydroxide, KOH.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem is, I don't know where to begin, so any advice on how to proceed or pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think I managed to do it meself. Forgot it was a strong base.

pOH=-log10[OH-]
pOH=-log10[0.15M]
pOH=0.824

pH+pOH=14 ∴ pH=14-0.824=13.176

Too many digits - 13.18 would be more to my liking. Other than that you did OK.

FAQ: How to Calculate pH of a 0.15 M Solution of Potassium Hydroxide Using Kw Value

1. How do you calculate the pH of a base?

The pH of a base can be calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the base's concentration of hydroxide ions. This is expressed by the formula pH = -log[OH-].

2. What is the scale for measuring pH of a base?

The scale for measuring pH ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. A pH of 7 is considered neutral.

3. Can the pH of a base be greater than 14?

No, the pH scale only goes up to 14. Anything with a pH above 14 would be considered extremely basic.

4. How does temperature affect the pH of a base?

Temperature can affect the pH of a base by changing the rate of ionization of hydroxide ions. Generally, an increase in temperature will result in a decrease in pH, while a decrease in temperature will result in an increase in pH.

5. What are some common bases and their corresponding pH levels?

Some common bases and their corresponding pH levels include: sodium hydroxide (pH 14), ammonia (pH 11), baking soda (pH 8), and milk of magnesia (pH 10).

Back