How to Calculate Population Size at T+1 Using Life Tables?

In summary, the table in orange shows the starting population at time t, and the table in blue shows the mortality and offspring production rates per year per age class. The orange tables shows the starting population at time t, I have to find the number of individuals at T+1 (next year). Assuming mortality does not have to be taken into account, the number of 0 age offspring is 5. The question now is do I assume that all 10 individuals are alive at t+1 to reproduce?
atomant

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/OInF6O2

The blue table shows the mortality and offspring production rates per year per age class by individuals of an unnamed species. The orange tables shows the starting population at time t, I have to find the number of individuals at T+1 (next year)

Homework Equations

Not sure if relavent but an equation is given: r = ln (NT+1)/NT)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/pilNkOP

Would love if someone could check the workings though or see if this makes sense

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the first value?
I agree with the others.

mfb said:
How did you get the first value?
I agree with the others.

Well the basic idea was to calculate the Mx values for the age groups that had an initial population at times t, which means age groups 2 and 3 which has Mx values of 3 and 2 respectively. Therefore the number of 0 age offspring should be 5 (I think)..don't really know how I got 7. Is this correct?

Those mx values are "offspring per individual and year". It mean a single individual at age 1 will (on average) get 2 children.

How many do 10 at age 2 get then? And the other groups?

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Those mx values are "offspring per individual and year". It mean a single individual at age 1 will (on average) get 2 children.

How many do 10 at age 2 get then? And the other groups?

Ah, I see - so the 10 at age 2 will on average have 30 offspring at t+1 (10 individuals and mx of 3).

The question now then is do I assume that all 10 individuals are alive at t+1 to reproduce? i.e- at age 2 the have a mortality rate of 10%, which means 9 individuals will survive at t+1 to become 3yr olds so do I assume that reproduction occurs after the death based on mortality rate happens or do I assume that these 2yr olds will reproduce before dying? Depending on these assumptions the offspring will either be 30 or 27. The question doesn't specify so I am unsure which is the most logical assumption to take.

I would read the table in a way that mortality does not have to be taken into account - in other words, they get children before they can die.

Thank you so much for your help, you have been amazing!

Likes 1 person

Related to How to Calculate Population Size at T+1 Using Life Tables?

1. What is a life table?

A life table is a tool used in population ecology to analyze the survival and mortality rates of a population over a certain period of time. It is typically created by tracking a cohort of individuals from birth until all members have died.

2. How is a life table useful in population ecology?

A life table provides valuable information about the demographics of a population, including the average lifespan, age-specific mortality rates, and reproductive patterns. This information can help researchers understand the dynamics of a population and make predictions about its future growth or decline.

3. What are the different types of life tables?

There are two main types of life tables: cohort and static. A cohort life table tracks a group of individuals from birth until all members have died, while a static life table uses data from a single point in time to estimate mortality rates for a population.

4. How are life tables constructed?

To create a life table, researchers must collect data on the number of individuals in each age group, as well as the number of deaths and survivors in each age group. This information is then used to calculate various mortality rates and life expectancy for the population.

5. What are the limitations of life tables?

Life tables are based on assumptions and can be affected by factors such as environmental changes, disease outbreaks, and human interference. They also do not take into account individual variations within a population, such as genetic differences or behavioral patterns. Therefore, while life tables are a useful tool, they should be used in conjunction with other methods of population analysis.