How to Calculate Projectile Motion for a Thrown Stone

In summary, the problem involves a student throwing a stone horizontally off a cliff and finding the time it takes to hit the beach, the velocity at impact, and the angle at which the stone lands. Using the equations y=Vo*sin(initial angle)*t - .5gt^2 and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, we can determine that the stone will take the same amount of time to hit the ground as a rock that has been dropped from the same height. The initial angle can be assumed to be 0 degrees since the stone is thrown horizontally. The velocity at impact can be found by combining the vertical and horizontal velocities, and the angle can be determined by using the velocity components to form a triangle. Drawing
anna_chem

Homework Statement

a student stands at the edge of a cliff and throws a stone horizontally over the edge with a speed of 7.6 m/s. The cliff is 38 m above a flat, horizontal beach. Find how long it takes to hit the beach, the velocity at impact, and at what angle below the horizontal the stone is when it lands.

Homework Equations

y=Vo*sin(initial angle)*t - .5gt^2
Vox= 7.6 m/s y-yo=38 and g=-9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time getting started, since I only know Vx, the height, and g. I believe the initial angle would be 0 degrees since the student is throwing the stone horizontally and not vertically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the problem states that he is throwing the stone horizontally with no reference to vertical motion, the time it takes to hit the ground will be the same as a rock that has been dropped from that height. I myself have only started taking Physics I now, so I am unsure about the other parts of the problem.

To work out at what time it hits the ground you can just use v^2 = u^2 + 2as, to get it's vertical velocity when it hits the ground, and then use v = u +at to get the time. This is because it's vertical velocity is unaffected by it's horizontal one.

Likewise it's horizontal velocity remains unchanged throughtout the flight as there is no air resistance. The velocity when it hit's the ground is found by combining the vertical and horizontal velocities it has when it hits the ground. The velocity components form a triangle which you can use to get the angle.

I would try drawing it out, will help you.

Last edited:

FAQ: How to Calculate Projectile Motion for a Thrown Stone

1. What is kinematics calculation?

Kinematics calculation is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. How is kinematics calculation used in science?

Kinematics calculation is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics, to understand and predict the motion of objects. It is also used to design and improve machines and structures.

3. What are the basic equations used in kinematics calculation?

The basic equations used in kinematics calculation include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, such as s = ut + 1/2 at^2, v = u + at, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. These equations are derived from the three fundamental kinematic principles: distance, time, and acceleration.

4. Can kinematics calculation be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics calculation can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object are measured along a straight line, while in rotational motion, they are measured around a fixed axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinematics calculation?

Kinematics calculation has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of vehicles, understanding the movement of celestial bodies, and designing sports equipment. It is also used in motion capture technology for animation and in medical imaging for studying the movement of joints and muscles.

Back