How to calculate required battery charge for 300 miles

In summary, the conversation is about a calculation involving a car that runs for 400 hours per year and consumes 2,000 litres of diesel at a cost of £1.10 per litre. The car's engine is 20% efficient and the question is how much energy would be needed in 95% efficient batteries to travel a range of 300 miles on a full charge. The conversation also includes background calculations and a request for clarification on whether the battery replaces the diesel or the engine.
jacstar
Need help - my brain is mush and the longer I look at it the more I don't understand it...can someone please tell me if this calculation is correct:

Homework Statement

A car is run for 400 hours per year, with a total mileage of 10,000 a year.
The car uses diesel and consumes 2,000 litres a year.
A litre of diesel costs £1.10 and holds 38.7MJ of primary energy.

If the engine is 20% efficient overall, how much energy would need to be stored in 95% efficient batteries to give a range of 300 miles on full battery charge?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Background Calcs:
Convert MJ to J: 38700000J
Total Joules (J x 2000 litres): 77400000000J
Convert 400 hours to seconds: 1440000s

Energy 77400000000 J
Time 1440000 seconds
= Power 53750 Watts
53.75 kW
1 watt = 0.001341022 horsepower
Convert W to hp: 72.07993734 hp

Answer (attempt!):

Primary energy (1 year): 400h*53.75kw=21.5MWh
Energy to 95% efficient batteries: 21.5 x 100/20 x 100/95 = 113.2MWh
Therefore 300 miles: 300/10000*113.2=3.4MWh

I appreciate your help!
Thanks guys

:confused: + :zzz: + :cry: = me

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the battery replace the diesel or the engine?

Either way, look at it from the point of view of a flow of units. For example, taking distance traveled & diesel used and energy in diesel, and then calculating energy per distance (MJ/mile) should give you a good grounding for calculating the energy required to travel some more distance.

Related to How to calculate required battery charge for 300 miles

1. What is the equation to calculate the required battery charge for 300 miles?

The equation to calculate the required battery charge for 300 miles is: Battery Charge (kWh) = (Total Distance (miles) / Vehicle efficiency (miles/kWh)) * Charging Efficiency

2. What is the average efficiency of an electric vehicle?

The average efficiency of an electric vehicle varies depending on the model and driving conditions, but it is typically around 3-4 miles per kWh.

3. How do I determine the charging efficiency for my specific vehicle?

The charging efficiency for your specific vehicle can be found in the owner's manual or by researching the make and model of your vehicle online. It is usually expressed as a percentage, with newer electric vehicles having a higher charging efficiency.

4. Can I calculate the required battery charge for 300 miles using the distance and energy units in my country?

Yes, as long as you convert the units to the appropriate ones for the equation. For example, if your country uses kilometers instead of miles, you would use the distance in kilometers in the equation and convert the result to the battery charge in kWh.

5. How accurate is the calculation for required battery charge for 300 miles?

The calculation is a good estimate for the required battery charge, but it may vary depending on factors such as driving habits, terrain, and weather conditions. It is always best to leave some buffer and aim for a slightly higher battery charge to ensure you reach your destination comfortably.