How to Calculate RLC Phase Angle in Multisim

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab performed on Multisim to recreate a circuit built in a lab class. The speaker is having trouble calculating the voltage and phase angle across each component, specifically the capacitor and inductor. They mention knowing that the phase angle for the capacitor is -90 and the inductor is +90, but are unsure of how to apply that to the equation given. They also mention a potential need for a "phase difference" and ask for clarification on how to read the oscilliscope for the resistor placement. The other person in the conversation suggests using the equation ##\phi = \omega \Delta T = 2 \pi f \Delta T## and explains how the voltage should be lagging on the display
dwn

Homework Statement

This is actually a lab I'm performing on Multisim. I've recreated a circuit that I build in lab class , but I'm not getting the output I need. I am trying to calculate the V and phase angle across each component. I already have the measurements found form the class lab. In addition to the oscilloscope terminal B not working, I'm not sure how to calculate the phase angle across the cap and inductor.

I know that each angle is -90 for cap and +90 for inductor.

Homework Equations

See images
RLC.png
RLC phase angle.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Measured values, but not sure how to apply to phase angle equation to find capacitor and inductor phase angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind the multisim question, I figured out what I was doing wrong. As far as calculating the phase angles: do I measure the distance between the source wave and the component wave (wave/division) then take the tan-1(dV/R)?

but not sure how to apply to phase angle equation to find capacitor and inductor phase angles.

The equation you have been given is for the phase of the entire circuit.

I'm not sure, but you may be looking for a "phase difference". In that case ##\phi = \omega \Delta T = 2 \pi f \Delta T## should be all you need.

My second port is no longer flat-lining, and I know I have to move the placement of the resistor in the circuit in order to get a reading of it on the oscilliscope, but the scope doesn't match my Vr measurement from lab, instead its looks closer to what I got for the Vcap measure. Could someone please explain this to me?

Attachments

• rlc1.png
    rlc1.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
You have B monitoring the capacitor voltage (between the capacitor and earth), and the display shows this voltage lagging the signal voltage.

Related to How to Calculate RLC Phase Angle in Multisim

1. What is the RLC phase angle in Multisim?

The RLC phase angle in Multisim refers to the phase difference between the voltage and current in a RLC circuit. It is measured in degrees and is used to determine the phase relationship between the voltage and current at any given frequency.

2. How is the RLC phase angle calculated in Multisim?

In Multisim, the RLC phase angle is calculated using the formula tan⁡(Φ) = (XL - XC)/R, where XL is the inductive reactance, XC is the capacitive reactance, and R is the resistance in the circuit. The resulting value is then converted to degrees.

3. Why is the RLC phase angle important in Multisim?

The RLC phase angle is important in Multisim because it helps to analyze and understand the behavior of RLC circuits. It can be used to determine the impedance of the circuit, as well as the resonance frequency, which is essential in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

4. How does the RLC phase angle affect the behavior of a circuit in Multisim?

The RLC phase angle affects the behavior of a circuit in Multisim by determining the phase relationship between the voltage and current. If the phase angle is 0 degrees, the voltage and current are in phase, and the circuit will behave as a purely resistive circuit. If the phase angle is 90 degrees, the circuit will behave as a purely reactive circuit, with the voltage and current out of phase. The phase angle also affects the overall impedance of the circuit.

5. Can the RLC phase angle be changed in Multisim?

Yes, the RLC phase angle can be changed in Multisim by adjusting the values of the inductance, capacitance, and resistance in the circuit. By changing these values, the reactance and impedance of the circuit will also change, resulting in a different phase angle. Additionally, the frequency of the voltage source can also be adjusted to change the RLC phase angle.