How to Calculate Scattered Photon's Wavelength and Electron's Kinetic Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two different experiments using different wavelengths for the Compton Shift. The measurements obtained are given and two questions are asked regarding the scattered photon's wavelength and the scattered electron's kinetic energy. The person seeking help shares their attempt at solving the problem and asks for suggestions. The expert advises them to double check their units and conversions for the scattered photon's wavelength and to use the Compton shift formula to find the velocity of the electron, which can then be used to calculate the Lorentz factor and ultimately the kinetic energy.
cutecarebear
Hello everyone! I've got a problem I've been working on for the past two days and can't seem to figure out. The problem is as follows:

Homework Statement

Two different experiments use two different wave lengths for the Comptom Shift. The scattered photons wavelengths and scatter angles (Φ) and the scattered electrons' kinetic energy and scatter angled are measured. The following measurements were obtained:

λ1: 20 nm Φ1= 60°
λ2: 500 nm Φ2= 60°

1.What is the scattered photon's wavelength for the two experiments?
2.What is the scattered electron's kinetic energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've managed the first part (I think).

Δλ= h/mc (1-cos Φ)
Δλ= ((6.63 *10-34)/ ((9.11*10-31)*(3*108)) * (1-1/2)
Δλ= ((6.63 *10-34)/(2.27*10-23))
Δλ≈1.2*10-12

So there's the wavelength, I think. Next up is the Kinetic energy:

Kin=mc2(ɣ-1)
ɣ= (1/√(1-(v/c)2)) (Lorentz factor)

I end up with
Kin= (9.11*10-31 * 9*1016) (ɣ-1) when I substitute in the mass of an electron and the speed of light.

I cannot for the life of me get ɣ. Or, rather, I can't get "v" within ɣ. Since it is relative, I am pretty sure I can't use DeBroglie's stuff (λ=h/p and then P=mv), though I tried. It didn't work out well. Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations for the scattered photon's wavelength. However, I would recommend double checking your units and conversions to ensure you get the correct result.

As for the scattered electron's kinetic energy, you are correct in using the Lorentz factor, but there are a few steps missing in your calculation. First, you need to find the velocity of the electron using the Compton shift formula you already calculated for the scattered photon's wavelength. Then, you can plug that velocity into the Lorentz factor equation to find the value of ɣ. Finally, you can use the mass and speed of the electron to calculate the kinetic energy.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Related to How to Calculate Scattered Photon's Wavelength and Electron's Kinetic Energy?

What is the Compton shift?

The Compton shift, also known as the Compton effect, is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of a photon changes when it collides with a charged particle. This results in a shift in the energy and frequency of the photon.

What is the Lorentz factor?

The Lorentz factor is a mathematical term used in special relativity to describe the relationship between the observed time, length, and mass of an object in motion compared to its values when at rest. It is represented by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is equal to 1/√(1-v²/c²), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light.

How are the Compton shift and Lorentz factor related?

The Compton shift and Lorentz factor are both concepts used in special relativity to describe the behavior of particles in motion. The Compton shift accounts for the change in energy and frequency of a photon due to its collision with a charged particle, while the Lorentz factor determines the relationship between an object's observed and rest values, taking into account its velocity.

What are the applications of the Compton shift and Lorentz factor?

The Compton shift and Lorentz factor have various applications in the fields of physics and astronomy. They are used to explain phenomena such as the redshift of light from distant galaxies, the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and the effects of high-speed travel on time and space. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental laws of the universe.

How can the Compton shift and Lorentz factor be calculated?

The Compton shift and Lorentz factor can be calculated using mathematical equations based on special relativity. For the Compton shift, the change in energy and frequency of a photon can be calculated using the formula ΔE = h/mc (1-cosθ), where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the charged particle, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle of deflection. The Lorentz factor can be calculated using the formula γ = 1/√(1-v²/c²), as mentioned earlier.