How to calculate stopping potential

• Thread starter 6021023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, an experiment was conducted using two different wavelengths of light (400 nm and 600 nm) to determine the stopping potential. Using the equation eV = h(v-v0), where e is the charge of an electron, V is the stopping potential, h is Planck's constant, v is the frequency, and v0 is the work function, the stopping potential at 400 nm was found to be 0.9V. However, when using frequency instead of wavelength, a negative number was obtained for v0. This may be due to confusion between wavelength and frequency and further interpretation of the given numbers is necessary for accurate calculations.

Homework Statement

A photoelectic experiment was performed at two different wavelengths of light: 400 nm and 600 nm. The stopping potential ("push back" voltage) at 400 nm s 0.9V. What is the stopping potential at 600 nm

Homework Equations

eV = h(v - v0)

The Attempt at a Solution

eV/h = v - v0
v0 = v - eV/h
v0 = 400 *10^-9 - (1.602*10^-19)(0.9)/(6.6*10^-34)
v0 = -2.18*10^14

V = h(v - v0)/e
V = (6.6*10^-34)(600*10^-9 - -2.18*10^14)/(1.602*10^-19)
V = 0.9

But this can't be right, since that is the stopping potential for a wavelength of 400nm. The stopping potential should be higher.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand the symbols in your "relevant equation". Could you please identify them one by one? Thanks.

e is the charge of an electron.
V is the stopping potential
h is Plancks constant
v is the frequency
v0 is also a frequency

I understand now. To begin with, what you call vo is related to the work function and cannot be negative. Your problem is that you confused wavelength with frequency. When you are given 400 nm and 600 nm, these are wavelengths not frequencies. You need to learn to interpret the given numbers in terms of your equations and not just plug in without second thought.

That makes sense, but when I tried it out using frequency instead of wavelength, I get a huge number for v0. Maybe that's ok, but then when I try to use that to solve for V, I get a negative number.

Show what you did and what you got. Maybe I can find something wrong.

Related to How to calculate stopping potential

1. What is stopping potential?

Stopping potential is the minimum potential difference that needs to be applied to a charged particle in order to completely stop its motion.

2. How is stopping potential calculated?

Stopping potential can be calculated using the equation:

V0 = (h/e) x (f - f0)

where V0 is the stopping potential, h is Planck's constant, e is the charge of an electron, f is the frequency of the incident light, and f0 is the threshold frequency.

3. What is the relationship between stopping potential and incident light frequency?

Stopping potential is directly proportional to the difference between the frequency of the incident light and the threshold frequency. As the incident light frequency increases, the stopping potential also increases.

4. How does the intensity of incident light affect stopping potential?

The intensity of incident light does not affect the stopping potential. It only affects the number of electrons that are emitted, but not their kinetic energy.

5. What is the significance of calculating stopping potential?

Calculating stopping potential is important in understanding the photoelectric effect, which is the emission of electrons from a metal surface when exposed to light. It helps us determine the relationship between the frequency and energy of light, and provides evidence for the particle nature of light.