How to Calculate Tension in a Rotating Disk System?

In summary: Draw two free body diagrams, one for the mass and one for the disk (cylinder)Do F = ma for the mass, and F = ma and τ = Iα for the disk …show us what you get :smile:Hint: The 2kg object is accelerating downwards pulling on the string and spinning up the cylinder.
henryli78

Homework Statement

A 0.70-kg disk with a rotational inertia given by MR^2/2 is free to rotate on a fixed horizontal axis suspended from the ceiling. A string is wrapped around the disk and a 2.0-kg mass hangs from the free end. If the string does not slip, then as the mass falls and the cylinder rotates, the suspension holding the cylinder pulls up on the cylinder with a force of:
A. 6.9 N
B. 9.8 N
C. 16 N
D. 26 N
E. 29 N
Answer: B

Homework Equations

∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
∑F = ma
a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not very sure how to begin. The two upwards acting forces seem to be the Tension forces of the string + suspension, while the downwards forces seem to be the weights of the objects. I am unsure how to relate the rotational inertia of the disk/cylinder with the tension forces, seeing that we don't know the net torque of the system (no angular acceleration).

Can someone direct me and maybe give me a hint on where to start? Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi henryli78! :wink:

draw two free body diagrams, one for the mass and one for the disk (cylinder)

do F = ma for the mass, and F = ma and τ = Iα for the disk …

show us what you get :smile:

Hint: The 2kg object is accelerating downwards pulling on the string and spinning up the cylinder.

the downwards forces seem to be the weights of the objects.

Not if the 2kg object is accelerating downwards.

Ok I get:
For the mass: m_1*g - T_1 = m_1*a
For the disk: mg + T_1 = T_2
I*alpha = T_1*r

Is this ok so far?

henryli78 said:
Ok I get:
For the mass: m_1*g - T_1 = m_1*a
For the disk: mg + T_1 = T_2
I*alpha = T_1*r

Is this ok so far?

Yes. you need one more equation. Have you got it?

Do you mean alpha = a/r?

henryli78 said:
Do you mean alpha = a/r?

Yes...

henryli78 said:

Homework Statement

A 0.70-kg disk with a rotational inertia given by MR^2/2 is free to rotate on a fixed horizontal axis suspended from the ceiling. A string is wrapped around the disk and a 2.0-kg mass hangs from the free end. If the string does not slip, then as the mass falls and the cylinder rotates, the suspension holding the cylinder pulls up on the cylinder with a force of:
A. 6.9 N
B. 9.8 N
C. 16 N
D. 26 N
E. 29 N
Answer: B

Homework Equations

∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
∑F = ma
a = [itex]\alpha[/itex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not very sure how to begin. The two upwards acting forces seem to be the Tension forces of the string + suspension, while the downwards forces seem to be the weights of the objects. I am unsure how to relate the rotational inertia of the disk/cylinder with the tension forces, seeing that we don't know the net torque of the system (no angular acceleration).

Can someone direct me and maybe give me a hint on where to start? Much appreciated.

Here you can see how to solve this in principal.
Yo-yo has not the same rotational inertia, but you can see there what equations to use to solve this.
https://wiki.brown.edu/confluence/download/attachments/2752887/Yo-yo.pdf?version=1

Thank you! I solved it :)

Related to How to Calculate Tension in a Rotating Disk System?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion and forces of objects that are rotating or in rotational motion. It involves understanding how torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration affect the movement and stability of rotating objects.

2. What is tension in rotational dynamics?

Tension in rotational dynamics refers to the force that is exerted on an object as it rotates around an axis. It is usually caused by the weight of the object and the resistance to the rotational motion. Tension can also be used to transfer torque from one object to another.

3. How is tension related to centripetal force?

Tension is related to centripetal force in that it can be used to create the centripetal force needed to keep an object in circular motion. In a rotating object, the tension force acts as the centripetal force, pulling the object towards the center of the rotation.

4. How does tension affect the stability of a rotating object?

Tension plays a crucial role in the stability of a rotating object. It helps to keep the object in its intended path and prevents it from flying off in a straight line. The magnitude of the tension force must be enough to balance out the other forces acting on the object to maintain stability.

5. How can tension be calculated in rotational dynamics?

Tension can be calculated in rotational dynamics using the equation T = Iα, where T is the tension force, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration of the object. This equation is derived from Newton's second law for rotational motion, which states that torque is equal to the moment of inertia times angular acceleration.