How to Calculate the Area Between Two Vectors in R^n?

In summary, there is a well-known expression for computing the area between two vectors in R^n. This involves considering the subspace spanned by the vectors, projecting it onto a parallel plane, and finding the magnitude of the cross product of the projected vectors. This can also be expressed in terms of the dot product between the vectors.
poissonspot
Hi, I wondered whether a well known expression is known that computes the area between two vectors in R^n. By area between two vectors, I mean the area that would be computed by considering the subspace spanned by the two, projecting the entire space to a "parallel plane" and then finally given by the magnitude of the cross product of the image of the vectors under this projection. Thank you,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
conscipost said:
Hi, I wondered whether a well known expression is known that computes the area between two vectors in R^n. By area between two vectors, I mean the area that would be computed by considering the subspace spanned by the two, projecting the entire space to a "parallel plane" and then finally given by the magnitude of the cross product of the image of the vectors under this projection.
In other words, given vectors $a,b$ in $\mathbb{R}^n$, you want the area $A$ of the parallelogram with vertices at the origin, $a$, $b$ and $a+b.$ If the angle between the vectors is $\theta$, this can be expressed in terms of the dot product by $$A = |a||b|\sin\theta = \sqrt{|a|^2|b|^2(1-\cos^2\theta)} = \sqrt{|a|^2|b|^2 - (a\cdot b)^2}.$$

Related to How to Calculate the Area Between Two Vectors in R^n?

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two vectors in Rn?

The formula for finding the area between two vectors in Rn is the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors.

2. How is the area between two vectors in Rn related to the angle between them?

The area between two vectors in Rn is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

3. Can the area between two vectors in Rn be negative?

No, the area between two vectors in Rn is always a positive value.

4. How do you interpret the area between two vectors in Rn geometrically?

The area between two vectors in Rn represents the magnitude of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

5. Can the area between two vectors in Rn be greater than the product of their magnitudes?

Yes, the area between two vectors in Rn can be greater than the product of their magnitudes if the angle between them is obtuse.

Back