How to Calculate the Distance Between Mars and Earth?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the function that gives the distance between Earth and Mars as well as the angle phi as a function of time. The conversation also touched on the complexities of orbital mechanics and the possibility of using these functions to plot the trajectory of a spacecraft. After some discussion and sharing of resources, the original poster was able to find the final answers for R(t) and phi(t) using the law of cosine and arctan(y/x) for R, respectively. These functions were deemed correct by Chet.
MMS
Hi guys,

There are many calculators and applications out there that can calculate you the distance between Earth and Mars at every time, but I'm trying to find the actual function that gives me so and draw the path of it.

My objective is finding the distance R (and Phi of t), as shown below, as a function of time.
I'm trying to sort out some geometry here but I keep getting functions that are implicit (with R and Phi).

Any ideas how to find R and Phi and as a function of time each explicitly?

Untitled.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't do orbital mechanics myself, but I know that it's a lot more complex than you seem to think. To start with, both orbits are elliptical, not circular, and of course their speeds are different.
Here's a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_mechanics

What is phi supposed to represent?

You can resolve the polar coordinates into cartesian coordinates, and then easily determine the distance.

Chet

Danger said:
I don't do orbital mechanics myself, but I know that it's a lot more complex than you seem to think. To start with, both orbits are elliptical, not circular, and of course their speeds are different.
Here's a starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_mechanics

Approximately speaking, they're circular. I can tell you both their time periods as well (Kepler's 3rd law).

Chestermiller said:
What is phi supposed to represent?

You can resolve the polar coordinates into cartesian coordinates, and then easily determine the distance.

Chet

It's simply the angle that is defined in the image.

MMS said:
By the way, the path that I'm trying to draw (in some program of course) is the following:
Okay, sorry. I thought that you meant something that you could use to programme a spacecraft trajectory.

MMS said:
It's simply the angle that is defined in the image.
You have a line drawn from Mars to Earth that is also tangent to Earth's orbit. I hope you realize that you can't generally do this.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You have a line drawn from Mars to Earth that is also tangent to Earth's orbit. I hope you realize that you can't generally do this.

Chet

In that specific time it is shown to be tangent (as if someone snapped a picture at that time). Of course, it isn't the general case which I'm looking for.

Danger said:
Okay, sorry. I thought that you meant something that you could use to programme a spacecraft trajectory.
I'm still far from orbital mechanics so no need to worry about that now. :D

MMS said:
In that specific time it is shown to be tangent (as if someone snapped a picture at that time). Of course, it isn't the general case which I'm looking for.
So, again, what does phi look like when it's not tangent, and why do you want to know phi?

Chestermiller said:
So, again, what does phi look like when it's not tangent, and why do you want to know phi?

This could be phi at a different time:

Untitled.png

Knowing phi and R as a function of time helps me plot its path as shown below.
image024.gif

I believe I have reached the answers. I'd be happy if someone could give it a look:

My final answer for R(t) using the law of cosine is:
image.png

And phi(t) using arctan(y/x) for R:
Untitled.png

MMS said:
I believe I have reached the answers. I'd be happy if someone could give it a look:

My final answer for R(t) using the law of cosine is:
image.png

And phi(t) using arctan(y/x) for R:
Untitled.png
Yes. That looks correct.

Chet

FAQ: How to Calculate the Distance Between Mars and Earth?

What is the distance between Mars and Earth?

The distance between Mars and Earth varies depending on their positions in their respective orbits. On average, the distance is about 140 million miles (225 million kilometers).

How long does it take to travel from Mars to Earth?

The travel time between Mars and Earth also varies due to their changing positions. On average, it takes about 7 months for a spacecraft to travel from Mars to Earth.

What is the closest distance between Mars and Earth?

The closest distance between Mars and Earth is about 34.8 million miles (56 million kilometers). This is known as the minimum approach distance, and it occurs when both planets are at their closest points in their orbits.

What is the farthest distance between Mars and Earth?

The farthest distance between Mars and Earth is about 250 million miles (401 million kilometers). This occurs when both planets are at their farthest points in their orbits, known as the maximum separation distance.

Can humans travel to Mars?

Yes, humans can travel to Mars. Several manned missions have been sent to Mars by various space agencies, and there are plans for future human exploration and colonization of the planet.