How to Calculate the Enthalpy of Formation of HCl?

• Thread starter Lindsayyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the enthalpy of formation of gaseous hydrogen chloride using given data and equations. The problem is difficult and the person is struggling to find helpful resources. They may need to use Hess's law and consider the energy of solvation in their solution. They are unsure about the specific formation equation needed for the problem.
Lindsayyyy
Hi

Homework Statement

I shall calculate the enthalpy of formation of gaseous hydrogen chlorid at 298,15 K
with the usage of thw following data:

[tex] \Delta [NH_{3}+HCL ->NH_{4}] :-50,4 kJmol^{-1}
\Delta H_{form} NH_{3}:-46,2kJmol^{-1}
NHCL_{4}:-315kJmol^{-1}[/tex]

and [tex]
\Delta H_{solv} NH_{3}:-35,7kJmol^{-1}
HCL:-73,5kJmol^{-1}
NH_{4}CL:+16,4kJmol^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that I need the formula that

[tex] \Delta H=\Sigma H(products) - \Sigma H(educts) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well to be honest I don't know where to start, our notes are just useless from the professor and I don't find anything useful on the internet. Would be nice if anyone could give me some hints.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
the second list are all of those energies of solvation? What level of chemistry is this? You may need to look at Hess's law for this problem but usually you don't use energy of solvation in these...

Do you have an equation for the formation that you want to use..are they looking for HCl coming from hydrogen and chlorine only or from something else.

Related to How to Calculate the Enthalpy of Formation of HCl?

1. What is enthalpy of formation?

Enthalpy of formation is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a compound is formed from its constituent elements under standard conditions.

2. What are standard conditions?

Standard conditions refer to a temperature of 25°C (298 K) and a pressure of 1 bar (or 1 atm).

3. How is enthalpy of formation calculated?

Enthalpy of formation is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products, taking into account the stoichiometric coefficients.

4. Why is enthalpy of formation important?

Enthalpy of formation is important because it provides information about the stability and energy content of a compound. It is also used to determine the energy released or absorbed in chemical reactions.

5. Can enthalpy of formation be negative?

Yes, enthalpy of formation can be negative. A negative value indicates that the formation of the compound releases energy (exothermic), while a positive value indicates that energy is absorbed (endothermic).