How to Calculate the Fermi Energy of Copper?

In summary, the conversation was about determining the number of electrons in a cubic volume of copper and the correct approach to solving the problem. The person asking the question was unsure if they should assume 1, 4, or 8 electrons per cubic volume and if their method of using k-states and the Fermi-Sphere was correct. They eventually realized their mistake and the correct answer was 4 electrons per cubic volume, resulting in a Fermi Energy of 9.15eV.
Sekonda
Hey,

My question is displayed below

ozGRP.png

I have had a few questions like these and I just want to check my approach is correct, but I'm not sure - I know that the Fermi Energy of Cu is something like 7eV.

Now we are told that there are 4 atoms per cube side - meaning 8 atoms but cubic volume, I'm not sure if I should assume 1,4 or 8 electrons per cubic volume i.e.

[tex]N_{electrons}=\frac{8}{(0.4nm)^3}\times L^{3}[/tex]

Where N is the total number of electrons for the Cu for a volume given by L^{3}, and where 8 is the number of electrons per cubic volume. Though I think this may be 4? I'm not sure!

Anyway, we can also find the total number of electrons in the volume by using k-states and the Fermi-Sphere

[tex]N_{electrons}=2\times \frac{4}{3}\pi k_{F}^{3}\times \frac{1}{(\frac{2\pi}{L})^{3}}[/tex]

Where the 2 is due to 2 electrons per k-state, the next factor is the k-state volume of the fermi-sphere and the final factor is the reciprocal of the 'volume per k-state'. Making these equal I find the Fermi energy as 9.15eV... which isn't bad I suppose.

If I assume 4 electrons per cubic volume I get roughly 5.9eV, so I'm not sure which way is technically correct.

Basically, how many electrons do I assume per cubic volume and is my problem solving even the correct method?

Cheers,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
Right... I realize now it says with 4 electrons, I read it as 4 electron on the cube side.

That was dumb...

SK

Related to How to Calculate the Fermi Energy of Copper?

1. How is the Fermi energy of Cu calculated?

The Fermi energy of Cu can be calculated using the formula: EF = ħ^2/2m(3π^2n)^2/3, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, m is the mass of a Cu atom, and n is the electron density.

2. What is the significance of calculating the Fermi energy of Cu?

The Fermi energy of Cu is an important parameter in understanding the electronic properties of this metal. It is a measure of the highest energy level occupied by an electron at absolute zero temperature and serves as a reference for determining other energy levels in the material.

3. How does the Fermi energy of Cu relate to its conductivity?

The Fermi energy of Cu is directly related to its electrical conductivity. A higher Fermi energy means a higher number of electrons at high energy levels, leading to a higher electrical conductivity in the material.

4. Can the Fermi energy of Cu change under different conditions?

Yes, the Fermi energy of Cu can change under different conditions such as temperature, pressure, and doping. These factors can affect the electron density and therefore, alter the Fermi energy of the material.

5. How can the Fermi energy of Cu be experimentally determined?

The Fermi energy of Cu can be experimentally determined through various techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and Hall effect measurements. These methods involve directly measuring the energy levels and electron density in the material.