How to calculate the minimum torque required for a motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for choosing a motor for a project involving a 2kg structure that needs to run at 1000 RPM. The specific torque and power rating required for the motor are questioned, as well as the input supply voltage. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a vertical axis DC motor and the potential forces and friction that will be involved in the structure's rotation. It is recommended to measure the torque needed or use a similar motor size as a reference.
rhtsree
Hi i want to choose a motor for a project i am working on and i have a structure weighing approx 2kg which is to be run at 1000 RPM. So my question is what should be specifications of the motor i am to buy ,more specificly the torque required to run the structure and the power rating?
i was looking to use an input supply of 12v or even 24 v for the same.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
What is the "2kg structure" doing? That will determine the power requirement and therefore the torque.
What speed range is acceptable? Will it be direct shaft coupled or will it be belt driven?

You could get an approximation of the torque you are going to require by winding fishing line around the axle several times then adding hanging weights off the end until the point your structure starts turning comfortably through a full revolution.

The weight required (in kilograms) times the radius (in metres) of the axle gives you the torque in kg.m and 1 kg.m converts to 9.80665 N·m (which is the standard unit of torque).

From there you should be able to select a motor based on it's data sheet or specifications web page.

Mechanical Structure .jpg

This is the entire structure . i havnt yet decided on the size of the structure but the 2kg part i meant was the 'U' shaped part in the above pic.
it wudnt be 2kg but as i said i havnt yet decided on the size so i thot i would put a safe mass of 2kg.
It is connected to a motor at the centre .
I plan for direct shaft coupling.
the speed restriction...well i ve put 1000 rpm however a min of 500 rpm is also acceptable.

Unfortunately it's not easy to work out what torque is required. There are two possible answers ..

1) The torque required to maintain the required speed. That depends on friction and air drag (unknown).
2) The torque required to accelerate the object from stationary to the required rpm in the required time (not specified). That depends on the moment of inertia of the object and friction/air drag (both unknown).

Usually one or the other will be larger and that's the figure you need.

It's probably easier to measure it. See post #3

Well, that certainly is an interesting 2kg of structure. Once it is running it will continue with very little little torque needed. Speed of rotation can be set approximately by adjusting the voltage to the vertical axis DC motor.

But there is an unknown. The gimbals will be subjected to forces due to the rotation on the axis of the cross shaft, and that by the rotation of the inner 3 point star. We cannot calculate that without mass and RPM details for all rotating components.

Without the vertical drive motor, bearing friction and wind resistance you would find that you had built a gyrocompass. It would tend to align it's horizontal axis to the N-S meridian of the Earth.

which is to be run at 1000 RPM.

Uhhhh , rhtsree

you are aware that 1000 rpm is about the speed of your central airconditioner's outdoor fan ?

Surround that thing with a stout wire mesh cage to catch the pieces.

Last edited:
At 1000 rpm, for a structure that "interesting", drag is going to be an issue, but will be difficult to quantify. I'd find a fan that is of similar size and rpm and use that motor size as a guestimate.

Likes dlgoff

Related to How to calculate the minimum torque required for a motor?

1. What is torque and why is it important to calculate the minimum torque required for a motor?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. In the context of motors, torque is important because it determines the motor's ability to overcome resistance and perform work. Calculating the minimum torque required ensures that the motor is powerful enough to perform its intended task.

2. How do I calculate the minimum torque required for a motor?

The minimum torque required for a motor can be calculated by multiplying the force needed to perform the task (in Newtons) by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied (in meters). This will give you the torque required in Newton-meters (Nm).

3. What factors should be considered when calculating the minimum torque required for a motor?

The factors that should be considered when calculating the minimum torque required for a motor include the weight of the load, the distance the load needs to be moved, the speed at which the load needs to be moved, and any resistance or friction that the motor will encounter.

4. How does the type of motor affect the minimum torque required?

The type of motor can affect the minimum torque required in several ways. For example, different types of motors (such as AC or DC) have different torque-speed characteristics, so the type of motor will affect the amount of torque needed to achieve a certain speed. Additionally, the design and construction of the motor can also affect its torque output.

5. Can the minimum torque required for a motor change over time?

Yes, the minimum torque required for a motor can change over time. Factors such as wear and tear on the motor, changes in the load being moved, and changes in the environment can all affect the minimum torque required. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the torque settings to ensure optimal performance of the motor.