HOw to calculate the number of electrons from a given battery capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of electrons that flow through a cell with a capacity of 3.5A.h in 30 minutes. The equation Q=I.t is used, and after converting the time and capacity units, the result is 3.94 x 10^22 electrons. One way to think about this is that 6x10^18 electrons flow through in unit time, which is 1 second.
Clark Kent

Homework Statement

If the cell capacity of a cell is 3,5A.h; calculate the number of electrons that flow through the cell in 30 minutes.

Homework Equations

Q= I.t

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= I.t
= 3.5x(1800)
= 6300C

6300/(1.6 x 10^-19)
= 3.94 x 10^22 electrons

Physics news on Phys.org
well, one definition of the amp, although not the right one, is that 6x10^18 (forgive me if my numbers are wrong because i don't have a calc right now, but you can get this number from the elementary charge e) flow through in unit time (1s).
If capacity is 3.5Ah, then convert the 30 minutes to hours, multiply that by 3.5Ah, and then use the relationship q=Ix(change in time).
However a better way to do this would be to convert the minutes into seconds, as well as 3.5Ah to As(ampere seconds) and then do the calculation.

FAQ: HOw to calculate the number of electrons from a given battery capacity

1. How does battery capacity relate to the number of electrons?

The battery capacity is a measure of the amount of charge that a battery can hold. This charge is carried by electrons, so the higher the battery capacity, the more electrons it can hold.

2. Can the number of electrons in a battery be calculated accurately?

Yes, the number of electrons in a battery can be calculated accurately by using the formula: number of electrons = battery capacity (in amp-hours) x 3600 (seconds per hour) x 6.24 x 10^18 (electrons per amp-second). This calculation assumes that the battery is fully charged and has a constant voltage.

3. How do I find the battery capacity of a specific battery?

The battery capacity is typically listed on the battery itself or in the product specifications. It is measured in amp-hours (Ah) or milliamp-hours (mAh) and can also be calculated by dividing the total charge by the discharge rate (in amps).

4. Is the number of electrons in a battery constant or does it change?

The number of electrons in a battery changes as the battery is charged and discharged. When the battery is fully charged, it has a higher number of electrons compared to when it is discharged.

5. How does the number of electrons affect the performance of a battery?

The number of electrons in a battery directly affects its capacity and runtime. The more electrons a battery can hold, the longer it will last before needing to be recharged. However, the number of electrons alone does not determine the overall performance of a battery, as factors like internal resistance and environmental conditions also play a role.