How to Calculate the Rate of Change of Surface Area for an Expanding Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the rate of change of surface area for an expanding sphere, using the formula for volume and the chain rule. The example provided involves finding the surface area of a sphere with a changing radius, and the conversation also touches on the use of latex in mathematical expressions.
JKLM
How do you get the volume of an expanding object?
For example:
A sphere's is increasing at 12ft/sec, the volume is 36, how fast is the surface area of a sphere

V=4*pi*r^3/3 S=4*pi*r^2

dV/dt= 12
So i took the derivative of the volume function

dV/dt=4*pi*r^2*dr/dt
12=4*pi*r^2*dr/dt
how do you solve for dr/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like a simple case of the chain rule.

dS/dt = dV/dt * dS/dV

= dV/dt * dS/dr * dr/dV

And no, I can't get the hang of latex either.

Doesn't it strike you that your question and example have nothing to do with one another?

Your question was "How do you get the volume of an expanding object?".

Your example had to do with "rate of change of surface area".

"a sphere's is increasing at 12ft/sec"

A sphere's what?? Okay, I know you meant to type "radius" but I had to look at the "12ft/sec" to be sure. I, myself, never mist83*3!

You know that, for any sphere, the surface area is given by
S= 4πr2 so dS/dr= 8πr. You want "dS/dt" (because you are asked for rate of change of surface area) and, as FZ+ said, that means you use the chain rule: dS/dt= (dS/dr)(dr/dt)= (8πr ft)(12 ft/sec). Of course in order to get that you need to know r (at that particular time). THAT'S why you need volume. Not to "find" volume but to use it to find r. Since that at a particular time, the fact that the sphere is changing has nothing to do with it. Solve (4/3)πr3= 36 for r and plug that into your formula for dS/dt.

Related to How to Calculate the Rate of Change of Surface Area for an Expanding Sphere?

1. What is meant by "Volumes by revolutions"?

Volumes by revolutions refer to the method of finding the volume of a solid by rotating a shape around an axis. This is often used in calculus to calculate volumes of complex shapes.

2. How do you find the volume of a shape using volumes by revolutions?

To find the volume of a shape using volumes by revolutions, you first need to determine the shape of the cross-section of the solid. Then, you use the formula V = ∫A(x)dx, where A(x) is the area of the cross-section at a particular point x. Finally, you integrate the function to find the total volume of the solid.

3. What types of shapes can be calculated using volumes by revolutions?

Volumes by revolutions can be used to calculate the volume of any solid that can be generated by rotating a 2D shape around an axis. This includes cylinders, cones, spheres, and more complex shapes like toroids and spheroids.

4. Can volumes by revolutions be used for irregular shapes?

Yes, volumes by revolutions can be used for irregular shapes as long as the cross-section of the solid can be determined at any point along the axis of rotation. This means that any shape with a known equation or formula for its cross-section can be calculated using volumes by revolutions.

5. Is there a specific method for calculating volumes by revolutions?

Yes, there are multiple methods for calculating volumes by revolutions, including the disk method, shell method, and washer method. These methods differ in the shape of the cross-section and the integration process, but they all follow the same concept of rotating a shape around an axis to find the volume of a solid.