How to calculate the speed of an object attached to a string

In summary, the question provides a scenario where a 20-g bead is attached to a light 120 cm-long string and is pushed to travel in a circular path. The length of the string is the radius of the circle. The solution for finding the radius is given, with the correct answer being 1.1 m/s. The image also shows the bead rotating in 3D while maintaining its height and the horizontal separation is referred to as "r". However, it can be confusing as this same variable name is used again.
aron silvester

Homework Statement

The question and the known/given variables are on the image in part 3. The question says that a 20-g bead is attached to a light 120 cm-long string. Now in my mind the bead will travel in a circular path if it is pushed really hard. So Isn't the length of the string, 120 cm, the radius of the circle? In my work, I had to solve for the radius. I found a solution online and this is their work. The correct answer is 1.1 m/s.

Homework Equations

It's in part 3 in the image.

The Attempt at a Solution

https://myhpu-my.sharepoint.com/per...R0RpKa0PGg&e=cf5a0f07109f401fb33a7a681a70fc4a

Physics news on Phys.org
The bead rotates in 3 D while keeping its height. It is not a typical pendulum. The r in the lower left part of the image is the horizontal separation of the object - the radius of the horizontal motion. It is a bit confusing that the same variable name is used again.

Edit: Picture for future reference:
physics question.jpeg

Attachments

• physics question.jpeg
    physics question.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,583
Last edited:
Likes lekh2003
mfb said:
The bead rotates in 3 D while keeping its height. It is not a typical pendulum. The r in the lower left part of the image is the horizontal separation of the object - the radius of the horizontal motion. It is a bit confusing that the same variable name is used again.

Wow, it makes so much sense now! Thanks!

Related to How to calculate the speed of an object attached to a string

1. How do I calculate the speed of an object attached to a string?

To calculate the speed of an object attached to a string, you will need to know the length of the string, the time it takes for the object to travel that length, and the weight of the object. You can then use the formula: speed = distance/time.

2. Do I need any specific units for the length and time measurements?

Yes, it is important to use consistent units for the length and time measurements. For example, if the length of the string is measured in meters, the time should be measured in seconds.

3. Can I use this calculation for any object attached to a string?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any object attached to a string, as long as the string is the only force acting on the object and the string is not stretched or bent during the motion.

4. What if the string is not perfectly horizontal?

In order to accurately calculate the speed, the string should be as horizontal as possible. If the string is not perfectly horizontal, you can estimate the angle of the string and use trigonometry to calculate the horizontal distance and adjust the formula accordingly.

5. Is there any other factor that can affect the speed of the object?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the speed of the object, such as air resistance and the weight of the object. However, for a simple calculation of speed using a string, these factors can be ignored unless they have a significant impact on the motion.