How to calculate the spring constant in an elevator fall scenario?

In summary, an engineer creates a spring with a spring constant k to limit the acceleration of an elevator falling from a height h to only 5g's. The total mass of the elevator and passengers is represented by M. To solve for k, the problem can be broken into two parts: first, finding the velocity of the elevator just before it hits the spring using kinematic equations, and then using additional equations such as Newton's laws to determine the spring constant, k. It is important to show an attempt at a solution before seeking further assistance.
gb14

Homework Statement

An engineer creates a spring so that when an elevator falls from a height h, the spring constant k, only allows the elevator to reach an acceleration of 5g's. Let M be the total mass of the elevator and passengers. Solve for K

Homework Equations

F=-kx
1/2mv^2 + mgh + 1/2kh^2 = 1/2mv^2 + mgh + 1/2kh^2
v=\sqrt(2gh)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to break it up into two separate equations to find the velocity of the elevator up to where it hits the spring and then to how much the spring compresses but I feel like I'm missing information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to post the question as to what you are trying to solve.

PhanthomJay said:
You forgot to post the question as to what you are trying to solve.

My bad, I edited it. I have to solve for the spring constant, k.

Ok, one way would be as you say, to break the problem into parts: first find the velocity of the elevator just before it hits the spring (the spring does not enter into the equation in this step); then now, as part 2, when it compresses the spring until it comes to a momentary stop, you can calculate the full distance the spring compresses, using the kinematic equations, then you'd need additional equations (like Newton's laws) to solve for k. Please show your attempt at a solution, and someone will help guide you through your method and errors, if any. You must attempt this before we can be of further assistance.

Related to How to calculate the spring constant in an elevator fall scenario?

1. What is a spring and how does it work?

A spring is a flexible object, usually made of metal, that can be compressed or stretched and will return to its original shape when released. It works by using stored potential energy to resist any changes in its length.

2. What causes a spring to compress?

A spring compresses when a force is applied to it, either by pushing or pulling on the ends of the spring. This force creates a change in the length of the spring, causing it to compress. The amount of compression is directly proportional to the force applied.

3. How is the compression of a spring measured?

The compression of a spring is typically measured in units of distance, such as millimeters or inches. This is done by measuring the change in length of the spring when a force is applied and then calculating the amount of compression based on the spring's original length.

4. What factors affect the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the amount of force applied, and the spring's original length. Temperature can also play a role in the compression of a spring, as extreme temperatures can affect the elasticity of the material.

5. What is the relationship between the compression of a spring and the force applied?

The compression of a spring and the force applied are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the force applied increases, the compression of the spring will also increase. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law and is often represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of compression.