How to Calculate the Static Structure Factor for Noninteracting Fermions?

In summary: V}\int d\vec{r} e^{-i(\vec{q}-\vec{k})\cdot\vec{r}} \langle \phi_0|a^\dagger_{\vec{r}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}|\phi_0\rangle = \frac{1}{V}\int d\vec{r} e^{-i(\vec{q}-\vec{k})\cdot\vec{r}} n_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}and\langle a^\dagger_{\
Catria

Homework Statement

Calculate the static structure factor for noninteracting fermions

[itex]S(\vec{q})=\frac{1}{N}\langle \phi_0|\hat{n}_{\vec{q}}\hat{n}_{-\vec{q}} | \phi_0\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\hat{n}_\vec{q}=\sum_{\vec{k},\sigma} a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}[/itex] is the particle density operator in the momentum representation and [itex]|\phi_0\rangle[/itex] is the ground state. Take the continuum limit [itex]\sum_{\vec{k},\sigma} \to 2V\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3}[/itex] and calculate [itex]S(\vec{q})[/itex] explicitly.

Hint: Consider the [itex]\vec{q}=0[/itex] and [itex]\vec{q}\neq 0[/itex] separately.

Homework Equations

The spin-independent one-particle operator: [itex]\langle\vec{q}|O|\vec{k}\rangle =\frac{1}{V}\int d\vec{r} e^{-i(\vec{q}-\vec{k})\cdot\vec{r}} O(\vec{r})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The case [itex]\vec{q}=0[/itex]:

In that case, the operator [itex]\hat{n}_\vec{q}\hat{n}_{-\vec{q}}=\sum_{\vec{k},\sigma} a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma}

=\sum_{\vec{k},\sigma} a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}\sigma}[/itex]

means that the integral reads

[itex]S(0)=\frac{2V}{N}\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3} n^2_{\vec{k}\sigma} = 1[/itex].

The physical process, in the [itex]\vec{q}\neq 0[/itex] case, is as follows: there is a particle at location [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] in momentum space within the Fermi sphere of radius [itex]k_F[/itex] that gets annihilated, and is created back with momentum [itex]\vec{k}-\vec{q}[/itex], which lies outside of the Fermi sphere, due to Pauli's exclusion principle. Said particle is annihilated and created back at the hole it first left behind.

Due to this constraint, if there was some spherical-coordinate integral to evaluate in the [itex]\vec{q}\neq 0[/itex] case, the radial integration limits would probably be [itex]k_F-|\vec{q}|,k_F[/itex]. But this is as far as I have taken the integral:

[itex]S(\vec{q})=2\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3} e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{q}} a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma}[/itex]

I'd like to think I am getting stuck at a rather advanced stage...

Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential term can be expanded into a Fourier series, and the operators can be expressed as the spin-independent one-particle operator. But I am not sure how to proceed from here, so I am hoping someone can give me some hints.

One approach to solving this problem is to use the Wick's theorem, which allows us to express the product of four fermionic operators in terms of two-particle operators. In this case, we have four fermionic operators: a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}, a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}, a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}, and a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma}. Using Wick's theorem, we can write the product of these operators as a sum of two-particle operators:

a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma} = \langle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}\rangle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma} + \langle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma}\rangle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma} + \langle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}\rangle a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma} + \langle a_{\vec{k}+\vec{q}\sigma}a_{\vec{k}-{\vec{q}}\sigma}\rangle a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}a^\dagger_{\vec{k}\sigma}

The first two terms are the ones that contribute to the calculation of the static structure factor. The third and fourth terms do not contribute because they involve two-particle operators, which do not contribute to the expectation value of a one-particle operator.

Using the spin-independent one-particle operator, we can write the first two terms as:

\langle a^\dagger

Related to How to Calculate the Static Structure Factor for Noninteracting Fermions?

1. What is the Fermionic static structure factor?

The Fermionic static structure factor is a measure of the spatial arrangement of particles in a quantum mechanical system. It provides information about the probability of finding two particles at a certain distance from each other in the system.

2. How is the Fermionic static structure factor calculated?

The Fermionic static structure factor is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the two-point correlation function of the system. This involves summing over all possible pairs of particles and taking into account their respective wave functions.

3. What are the applications of the Fermionic static structure factor?

The Fermionic static structure factor has various applications in condensed matter physics, including understanding the properties of interacting quantum systems, such as Bose-Einstein condensates and superconductors. It can also be used to study the behavior of particles in non-equilibrium systems.

4. How does the Fermionic static structure factor differ from the Bosonic static structure factor?

The Fermionic static structure factor and the Bosonic static structure factor are similar in that they both provide information about the spatial arrangement of particles in a system. However, they differ in their respective symmetries and the types of particles they describe. Fermions, such as electrons, have half-integer spin and obey the Pauli exclusion principle, while bosons, such as photons, have integer spin and do not obey the exclusion principle.

5. Can the Fermionic static structure factor be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Fermionic static structure factor can be measured experimentally using techniques such as x-ray and neutron scattering. These methods involve directing a beam of particles at the system and measuring the scattered particles, which can then be used to calculate the static structure factor.