How to calculate the thickness of retaining ring

In summary, the retaining ring will need to be made from a spring material with at least one cut so it can be compressed and installed into the groove. The ring is then retained in the groove by the valve body. The wedge shaped (gasket / pressure seal) is pushed up against the retaining ring.
saran
Hi,
I am working as a design engineer. I am new to pressure seal bonnet Valve design. In that valve concept we are using a ring called as Retaining ring. The purpose of this ring is to withstand the entire force acting on the bonnet due to is working pressure. Now i want to know how to calculate the thickness of that ring. Here i am attaching the Picture for your ref. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image_gallery.jpg
    image_gallery.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 10e.jpg
    10e.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 533
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Could you give more details regarding where the pressure is coming from (Mark with red color), also where the valve body is fixed to.

AeroGeek said:
Hi, Could you give more details regarding where the pressure is coming from (Mark with red color), also where the valve body is fixed to.
Hi AeroGeek, Thanks for your response, here i am attaching the picture for your ref i hope it will help you. In that Orange coloured component's thickness only we have to calculate. The Valve body can be used in many applications like piping. But the ring is fitted in the Valve body. My operating conditions are Pressure is 150 Class, and the diameter in the Gasket area is 7".

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 495
Hi Saran,
The Pressure is acting in 2 direction if I'm right! the pressure through the shaft direction is exerting a bending stress on the retainer ring (SB), also the radial (S A) is acting circumferential, so ST = SB + SA. However due to the complex geometry, there are no simple formulas, please refer to Roark's formulas for stress and strain.

“capture.jpg” shows that the retaining ring will have to be made from a spring material with at least one cut so it can be compressed and installed into the groove. The ring is then retained in the groove by the valve body. The wedge shaped (gasket / pressure seal) is pushed up against the retaining ring.

Your pictures “capture.jpg” and “10e.jpg” show quite different load situations on the retaining ring. It is not possible to answer the thickness question unless the retaining ring structure and position can be fully specified.

Related to How to calculate the thickness of retaining ring

1. How do I calculate the thickness of a retaining ring?

To calculate the thickness of a retaining ring, you will need to know the material properties, such as yield strength and modulus of elasticity, as well as the dimensions of the ring, such as the inner and outer diameter. You can then use a formula, such as the Lame's equation, to calculate the required thickness based on the applied load and safety factor.

2. What is the purpose of a retaining ring?

A retaining ring is a type of fastener that is used to secure components in place, typically on a shaft or in a bore. It prevents the components from sliding or moving out of position due to rotation or axial movement. Retaining rings are commonly used in mechanical and engineering applications.

3. How does the material of the retaining ring affect its thickness?

The material of the retaining ring can affect its thickness as different materials have different properties, such as yield strength and modulus of elasticity. These properties will impact the load-bearing capacity of the ring and therefore, the required thickness to withstand the applied load. It is important to choose a material with suitable properties for the specific application to ensure the retaining ring can perform its function effectively.

4. Can I use any formula to calculate the thickness of a retaining ring?

While there are various formulas available to calculate the thickness of a retaining ring, it is important to choose one that is appropriate for the specific application and takes into account all the necessary factors, such as material properties and dimensions. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to industry standards to determine the most suitable formula for your specific needs.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the thickness of a retaining ring?

In addition to material properties and dimensions, other factors that may affect the thickness of a retaining ring include the type of load, such as static or dynamic, and the operating environment, such as temperature and corrosion. It is important to consider all these factors to ensure the retaining ring is designed with the appropriate thickness to withstand the specific conditions it will be subjected to.