How to calculate the torque required to move the gear?

In summary, the gear shafts have a length of 20 cm, 15 cm, and 15 cm, respectively, and the gear materials are made of acetal. There is no minimum torque required by the equations, and the only thing that affects the torque is the mass moment of inertia of the gears and the shaft. The gear shafts have negligible bending moment, so the only torque that needs to be calculated is the alternating torque.
aiklone1314

Homework Statement

Given
gFv3IAn.jpg

Where gear 1 is start from the bottom right gear and ends with gear 7 which is located at the top middle.
aAFqXGv.jpg

The shaft length are 20cm between gear 1 and gear 2,15cm between gear 2 and gear 3 and 15cm between gear 5 and gear 6. The material of the shaft and gear are made up of acetal which density is 1410kg/m3.

May i know how to calculate the input torque required in order turn all the gear?
no load are at the end of the gear, only mass moment of inertia of the gear and the shaft need to be consider. TQ for helping.

Homework Equations

Torque= mass moment of inertia*angular acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
aiklone1314 said:
Torque= mass moment of inertia*angular acceleration
Merely moving the gears requires no particular acceleration; it can be extremely small. As a result, there is no minimum torque required by that equation. In practice, there is a minimum torque, but that comes from static friction at the axles.

haruspex said:
Merely moving the gears requires no particular acceleration; it can be extremely small. As a result, there is no minimum torque required by that equation. In practice, there is a minimum torque, but that comes from static friction at the axles.

if mass moment of inertia of the gear and the shaft are needed to be consider? i am required by the lecturer to do that calculation:cry:

I just realized you left something out. You wrote:
May i know how to calculate the input torque required in order turn all the gear?
But what you meant was
May i know how to calculate the input torque required in order turn all the gear at the specified accelerations?​
Now it makes sense. All you need to do is calculate the MI of each gear and shaft, multiply each of those by its required acceleration, and add them all up. But you cannot do that for the shafts without knowing their radii. Do they matter? I would not have thought so. The shaft lengths are irrelevant.

haruspex said:
I just realized you left something out. You wrote:

But what you meant was
May i know how to calculate the input torque required in order turn all the gear at the specified accelerations?​
Now it makes sense. All you need to do is calculate the MI of each gear and shaft, multiply each of those by its required acceleration, and add them all up. But you cannot do that for the shafts without knowing their radii. Do they matter? I would not have thought so. The shaft lengths are irrelevant.

TQ so much.

Sorry that i miss out the acceleration and the radii of the shaft.
The acceleration is 9.81m/s2 and as the shaft is to be designed by me and no specific radii is given to it, thus the radii of the shaft i would like to use the following formula to find:
PgIV5hI.jpg

As the bending moment of the shaft are negligible small, the midrange and alternating bending moment is ignored, only torsion need to be considered.
May i know how to calculate for the alternating torque, i was told by the lecturer the alternating torque is superposed but may i know why is it superposed?

I just realized the shaft length are irrelevant in the formula. Just ignore it.Do i need to use this formula to calculate the gear torque
total torque on A to accelerate A and B :

= Ia alphaa + n2 Ib alphaa
= ( Ia + n2 Ib ) alphaa

that are found in this website:
http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech226/gearsys/gearaccel.htm

May i know do i implement the shaft mass moment of inertia into it?
Tq for your help!

I don't know what it means for a torque to be superposed. I'm not an engineer. (I think there's another forum that would be better for that.)
I would have thought the MIs of shafts were negligible, but if you want to take them into account then you will need the lengths (to get the masses).
If you're concerned about the torque on each shaft then you will need to work backwards from the final gear calculating the torque at each step (by adding the MI*accn terms successively). The greatest torque will be nearest the power source, so in principle you could use thicker shafts there.

Related to How to calculate the torque required to move the gear?

1. What is the formula for calculating torque required to move a gear?

The formula for calculating torque required to move a gear is T = Fr, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and r is the radius of the gear.

2. How do I determine the force required to move a gear?

The force required to move a gear can be determined by dividing the torque by the radius of the gear, or F = T/r.

3. What factors affect the torque required to move a gear?

The torque required to move a gear is affected by the size and shape of the gear, the friction between the gear and its surroundings, and the speed at which the gear is rotating.

4. Can the torque required to move a gear be reduced?

Yes, the torque required to move a gear can be reduced by using gears with a larger radius, reducing friction, and increasing the speed of rotation.

5. How does the number of teeth on a gear affect the torque required to move it?

The number of teeth on a gear does not directly affect the torque required to move it. However, the size and shape of the gear and number of teeth can indirectly impact the torque required due to factors such as friction and gear ratios.