How to calculate the voltage on a resistor at a power cable

In summary: It is possible that there is a mistake in the system.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a resistor connected to a power cable and the calculation of the voltage across the resistor. The method used is to first calculate the resistance of the cable, add it to the resistance of the resistor, and then calculate the current in the circuit. However, the answer obtained is incorrect and it is suggested to seek clarification from the person who assigned the problem.
ronaldinho52
hallo everyone,

i have here a simple problem that i cannot solve. This is the problem:

A resistor of 46 Ω is connected to the end of a power cable.
The voltage a the begin of the cable is 230 V.
The length of the cable is 25 m
The copper area is 1.0 mm2
The specific resistance of copper is 0.0175.10-6 Ω.m
What is the voltage on the resistor of 46 Ω [in V]?

I calculted this by first determining the resistance of the cable and then adding(series) both the resistance of the cable and the resistor. After this i have calculated the current in the cable. With the current known the voltage of the resistor can easily be calculated using V=IR.

This seems to be right to me but the answer is wrong. Does someone know what my mistake is and how this problem can be solved.

thanks to everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ronaldinho52 and welcome to PF. Your method seems to be OK. You probably went astray with the implementation. Can you show exactly what you did in more detail? We cannot help you without more details.

Answer should be 227.833 Volts.

So i first calculate the resistance of the cable:

R(cable)=(0.0175x10e-6 x 25 m)/1e-6=0.4375 ohm
Total resistance is R(cable)+R(resistor)=0.4375+46=46.4375
Now the current in the serie can be calculated: 230/46.4375=4.953 amp

So, the voltage across the resistance is 4.953 amp x46 ohm=227.83 Volts

unfortunately this answer is wrong. This problem is part of a online homework system which i must work out every week. Maybe its an error in the system itself which gives an incorrect feedback.

I agree with your calculation and it seems that 1994Bhaskar does too. Perhaps you should ask the person who assigned this problem for clarification.

Related to How to calculate the voltage on a resistor at a power cable

1. How do I calculate the voltage on a resistor at a power cable?

The voltage on a resistor at a power cable can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). The formula is V = I * R. You will need to know the current flowing through the resistor and the resistance of the resistor in order to calculate the voltage.

2. What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to calculating voltage on a resistor?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in electricity that relates the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This formula can be used to calculate the voltage on a resistor at a power cable.

3. Can you explain the concept of voltage and how it relates to a resistor at a power cable?

Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in a circuit. In the case of a resistor at a power cable, the voltage is the amount of electrical potential that is applied to the resistor. This potential causes the flow of electrons through the resistor, creating a current.

4. How is the voltage on a resistor affected by the current and resistance?

The voltage on a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it and the resistance of the resistor. This means that as the current increases, the voltage also increases. Similarly, as the resistance increases, the voltage also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = I * R.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the voltage on a resistor at a power cable?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the voltage on a resistor. These include the type and material of the resistor, the temperature of the resistor, and the type of power source supplying the voltage. These factors can impact the resistance of the resistor and therefore affect the voltage calculation.