How to Calculate the X-Component of the Magnetic Moment in a Rectangular Loop?

In summary, a rectangular loop of wire with sides H = 22 cm and W = 77 cm is placed in a region with a constant magnetic field B = 0.82 T aligned with the positive y-axis. The loop has a current of I = 334 mA and is inclined at an angle θ = 30° with respect to the x-axis. The question asks for μx, the x-component of the magnetic moment vector of the loop. The formula for μx is μx = H*W*cos(30°), but this is not the correct answer. It is important to draw the magnetic moment vector on the diagram and note the angle it makes with the x-axis or y-axis. The rule for determining
marchcha

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire with sides H = 22 cm and W = 77 cm is located in a region containing a constant magnetic field B = 0.82 T that is aligned with the positive y-axis as shown. The loop carries current I = 334 mA. The plane of the loop is inclined at an angle θ = 30° with respect to the x-axis.
h13_rectangle.png

What is μx, the x-component of the magnetic moment vector of the loop?

Homework Equations

μ = AI
A = H*W

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve the question by solving for μ like μx = H*W*cos(30°) however this is not the correct answer. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Be sure you draw the magnetic moment vector on your diagram and carefully note the angle that the vector makes to the x-axis or the y-axis.

TSny said:
Be sure you draw the magnetic moment vector on your diagram and carefully note the angle that the vector makes to the x-axis or the y-axis.
I'm a little confused on how to find the angle that the vector maxis to the x-axis.

What is the rule for determining the direction of the magnetic moment vector?

Related to How to Calculate the X-Component of the Magnetic Moment in a Rectangular Loop?

1. What is a rectangular current loop?

A rectangular current loop is a closed loop of conducting material in the shape of a rectangle, through which an electric current can flow.

2. How does a rectangular current loop produce a magnetic field?

As the electric current flows through the loop, it creates a magnetic field around the loop. The strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude and direction of the current.

3. What are some applications of rectangular current loops?

Rectangular current loops are commonly used in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical imaging.

4. How does the shape of a rectangular current loop affect its magnetic field?

The shape of the loop affects the strength and direction of the magnetic field it produces. A longer loop or one with more turns will produce a stronger magnetic field compared to a shorter or fewer turns loop.

5. Can a rectangular current loop be used to produce a uniform magnetic field?

Yes, by carefully designing the dimensions and orientation of the loop, a uniform magnetic field can be created within the loop's interior. This is useful in various scientific experiments and applications.

Back