How to Calculate Thrust for an Airplane Takeoff?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem that involved acceleration independent of friction, but was unsuccessful. They found the answer by using a table and figuring out the rolling friction.
erok81

Homework Statement

An Airbus A320 jetliner has a takeoff mass of 75,000 kg. It reaches its takeoff speed of 82 m/s in 35s.

Homework Equations

F=ma
V/t=a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost on this question. I have seen numerous examples on the internet, with the exact problem, but no one has gotten the correct answer. After two hours and 20+ wrong answers I gave up and opted to see the answer. However, I would like to know how it was solved. Here is what I did that got me close to the right answer.

Solved for acceleration indepentant of friction. Which was 82/35 giving me 2.343m/s^2.

I plugged that in for f(thrust)=ma -> (75,000)(2.343) = 175,725 N.

This is too low and doesn't involve rolling friction. From a table in my book I figured rolling friction was 0.020 for rubber on concrete. I then solved for the friction.

m=75,000
g=9.80
f=0.020

F=ma -> F=(75,000)(9.80)(0.020) = 14,700N

Since the thrust will have to include overcoming friction the whole time, I add those two values and get 190,425 N.

This is the only way I can come close to the actual answer. I've done it a bunch of different ways, none were within 20k of the answer.

How should one actually solve this?

The answer given is 190,000N.

Physics news on Phys.org
!
[tex] F =/= ma [/tex]
[tex] F_{net}=ma[/tex]

So expanding Fnet gives us
[tex] F_t -F_f = ma [/tex]
Plugging everything in gives us a thrust of 190 000 N.

Did I have the value for friction right?

Because using my values and your expansion, I get the same answer I had before...

I would imagine the answer is using two sig figs since all numbers are given with two sig figs.

That makes sense, thanks for the help. I'll try the problem again later and see if I remember it.

Related to How to Calculate Thrust for an Airplane Takeoff?

What is the purpose of thrust during airplane takeoff?

Thrust is the force that propels an airplane forward during takeoff. It is generated by the engines and is necessary for the airplane to gain enough speed to lift off the ground.

How is thrust created during airplane takeoff?

Thrust is created by the engines of the airplane. They take in air, compress it, and mix it with fuel to create combustion. This combustion produces a high-energy exhaust that is forced out of the back of the engine, creating thrust.

How does the amount of thrust affect the takeoff of an airplane?

The amount of thrust directly affects the speed at which an airplane can take off. The more thrust an airplane has, the faster it can accelerate and the shorter its takeoff distance will be. However, too much thrust can also be dangerous and cause the airplane to become unbalanced.

What factors can affect the thrust during airplane takeoff?

The weight of the airplane, air temperature, altitude, and wind conditions can all affect the amount of thrust needed for takeoff. Heavier airplanes require more thrust, while high temperatures and high altitudes can decrease engine performance and therefore require more thrust. Strong headwinds can also decrease the amount of thrust needed for takeoff.

How do pilots adjust the thrust during airplane takeoff?

Pilots use the throttle controls in the cockpit to adjust the amount of thrust generated by the engines. They carefully monitor the speed and performance of the airplane during takeoff and make adjustments to the thrust as needed to ensure a safe and smooth takeoff.