How to Calculate Total Kinetic Energy of a Car with Rotational Motion?

• Thread starter Newton=boss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Motion
In summary, the total kinetic energy of a car weighing 1900 kg, with four tires each weighing 40 kg and having a diameter of 0.80 m, traveling at 60 km/h can be found by using the formula K=1/2 mv^2. To determine the fraction of kinetic energy in the tires and wheels, the rotational kinetic energy stored in the rotation of the wheels must also be taken into account, using the formula K=1/2 Iω^2. If the car is initially at rest and is pulled by a tow truck with a force of 2500 N, the acceleration of the car can be found using the formula F=ma, ignoring frictional losses. If the rotational inertia of
Newton=boss

Homework Statement

The 1900 kg mass of a car includes four tires, each of mass (including wheels) 40 kg and diameter 0.80 m. Assume each tire and wheel combination acts as a solid cylinder.
(a) Determine the total kinetic energy of the car when traveling 60 km/h.

(b) Determine the fraction of the kinetic energy in the tires and wheels.
%

(c) If the car is initially at rest and is then pulled by a tow truck with a force of 2500 N, what is the acceleration of the car? Ignore frictional losses.

(d) What percent error would you make in part (c) if you ignored the rotational inertia of the tires and wheels?

Homework Equations

I would understand where to go in step two. For step 1 i was using K=1/2 mv^2
For step 3 i used F=ma. Apparantly I am totally wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Help. The formulas I use are giving me incorrect results. about 200,000 J is what I got

Physics news on Phys.org
You're forgetting the rotational kinetic energy stored in the rotation of the wheels. In addition to the [tex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex] there should be a [tex]\frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex] term.

the rotational kinetic energy can be found from
I=1/2*40*4*.4^2?
and
60*1000/3600=v
omega=v/0.4?

check that. I was able to solve part a)..thankyou!
I do not even know how to start on the next 3 parts..if you could point me where to go I would be indebted.

wouldnt b simply be to divide the rotational Kinetic energy by the total kinetic energy? apparently not..

FAQ: How to Calculate Total Kinetic Energy of a Car with Rotational Motion?

1. What is rotational motion in a car?

Rotational motion in a car refers to the movement of the car's wheels and other rotating parts. It is the motion of an object around a fixed axis, such as the rotation of the wheels on an axle.

2. How does rotational motion affect the performance of a car?

Rotational motion plays a crucial role in the performance of a car. It is responsible for powering the wheels and allowing the car to move forward. It also affects the car's handling, stability, and acceleration.

3. What are common signs of rotational motion problems in a car?

Common signs of rotational motion problems in a car include vibrations, shaking, and noise coming from the wheels or other rotating parts. Other signs may include difficulty steering, uneven tire wear, and poor performance.

4. What are some possible causes of rotational motion problems in a car?

There are several potential causes of rotational motion problems in a car. These can include worn or damaged tires, misaligned wheels, faulty wheel bearings, and issues with the drivetrain or suspension system.

5. How can rotational motion problems in a car be fixed?

The specific method for fixing rotational motion problems in a car will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, simply replacing worn or damaged parts may be enough to resolve the issue. Other times, more extensive repairs or adjustments may be necessary. It is best to consult a professional mechanic for an accurate diagnosis and proper repair.