How to Calculate Total Mass of a Person with Additional Gear?

• Thread starter MegaMan64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, when considering the mass of a human, their density multiplied by their velocity results in a weight of 189.16lb or 85.79 kg for a 175lb person. However, when accounting for additional weight from a parachute and pack, it is simpler to treat them all as a single mass with the same velocity.
MegaMan64
What I have now if the mass of a human found by this
m = density x velocity
which is 189.16lb or 85.79 kg for about 175lb person.
density = 1010 kg/m3
volume = 3ft^3
but then I thought that this guy will have about 200 extra lbs of wight and a parachute along with that. How should I go about putting that into the mass?
The bag would be about 2ft * 2ft *1ft = 4ft^3 so the
mass of the pack would be about 200lb roughly?
and the parachute would be about 50lb too.
Should I just add the human mass to the other two masses for a total mass? Or am i missing something?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MegaMan64! Welcome to PF! :wink:
MegaMan64 said:
Should I just add the human mass to the other two masses for a total mass?

Yes, if they all have the same velocity, it's easier and quicker to treat them as a single mass. :smile:

What I have now if the mass of a human found by this
m = density x velocity

Whaaaaaaa??

That doesn't lead to the units on the following line in your post...

Naty1 said:
Whaaaaaaa??

he meant volume! :rolleyes:

I would recommend that you consider the mass of the additional items (parachute and bag) separately from the mass of the human. You can then add all three masses together to determine the total mass. This approach allows for a more accurate representation of the overall mass and takes into account the individual masses of each item. Additionally, you may also want to consider the mass of any other equipment or gear that the person may be carrying. It is important to be as precise as possible in your calculations to ensure accurate results.

Related to How to Calculate Total Mass of a Person with Additional Gear?

1. What is the "mass of person with stuff"?

The "mass of person with stuff" refers to the total amount of matter and energy contained in a human body, including any items they may be carrying or wearing.

2. How is the mass of a person with stuff calculated?

The mass of a person with stuff is calculated by adding together the mass of the person's body and the mass of any items they are carrying or wearing.

3. Why is the mass of a person with stuff important?

The mass of a person with stuff is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and nutrition, as it can affect their physical performance, metabolism, and overall health.

4. Does the mass of a person with stuff change?

Yes, the mass of a person with stuff can change due to factors such as weight loss or gain, changes in clothing or accessories, and the consumption or excretion of food and liquids.

5. How does the mass of a person with stuff differ from their body weight?

The mass of a person with stuff is the total amount of matter and energy in their body, while body weight refers to the force exerted on their body by gravity. This means that a person's mass with stuff will remain constant on any planet, while their body weight may vary depending on the strength of gravity.