How to calculate travel time as a function of distance

In summary: As someone who has experience in physics and mathematics, I can say that this problem requires knowledge and understanding of integration techniques in order to solve it. It is not something that can be easily spoon fed without a solid understanding of the concepts involved. It would be beneficial for you to seek out resources to learn how to integrate, rather than relying on others to provide you with solutions.
Christofer Br
Member warned that some effort must be shown
I need help calculating travel time as a function of distance using drag equation: F_drag = crossection area * density * ballistic coefficient * 0.5 * v^2. Not posted in homework cause it's not, and I don't know how to solve integrals so I could not fill solution attempt box

Physics news on Phys.org
If drag is the only force acting, just write the equation of motion and integrate it. At least get the equation of motion before worrying about how to integrate.

If the trajectory of an object in 1D is ##x(t)##, then the travel time as function of position is just its inverse function ##t(x)##. In some cases this isn't single valued, though, as you can see in the case of a harmonic oscillator trajectory ##x(t) = A\sin \omega t##.

Christofer Br said:
I don't know how to solve integrals so I could not fill solution attempt box

This problem is solvable by direct integration, but if you do not know how to integrate, then the solution is simply beyond your capabilities. I do not think that there is any other way to deal with the problem, other than by integration.

Dr.D said:
This problem is solvable by direct integration, but if you do not know how to integrate, then the solution is simply beyond your capabilities. I do not think that there is any other way to deal with the problem, other than by integration.
I realized that from beginning, I am essentialy asking to be spoon fed a solution - certainly other people will stumble upon it too, I think it's overall a good contribution to the forum

My understanding is that PF is not about spoon feeding problem solutions. Good luck with your search.

Christofer Br said:
realised that from beginning, I am essentialy asking to be spoon fed a solution
That is absolutely not what we do here at Physics Forums.

Dr.D said:
This problem is solvable by direct integration, but if you do not know how to integrate, then the solution is simply beyond your capabilities.
I agree.

FAQ: How to calculate travel time as a function of distance

1. How can I calculate the travel time for a given distance?

To calculate travel time, you need to know the distance and the speed of travel. The formula for calculating travel time as a function of distance is: Time = Distance / Speed. This formula works for any unit of distance and speed, as long as they are consistent. For example, if the distance is in miles and the speed is in miles per hour, the resulting time will be in hours.

2. Is there a simpler way to calculate travel time?

If you know the distance and speed, you can use a distance-speed-time calculator or an online travel time calculator. These tools will do the calculation for you and provide the travel time in various units such as hours, minutes, or seconds.

3. Can I calculate travel time without knowing the speed?

No, to calculate travel time, you need to know both the distance and the speed. If you only know the distance, you can estimate the speed by dividing the distance by the average speed of your mode of transportation. However, this will only give you an approximate travel time.

4. How do I account for rest stops or breaks during the travel?

If you know the total duration of your breaks, you can subtract that time from the calculated travel time. For example, if you are driving for 6 hours but plan to take a 30-minute break, your total travel time would be 5.5 hours (6 hours - 0.5 hours).

5. Does the calculation of travel time apply to all modes of transportation?

Yes, the formula for calculating travel time as a function of distance can be applied to any mode of transportation, whether it's driving, walking, or flying. However, the speed will vary depending on the mode of transportation and can greatly affect the calculated travel time.

Back