How to Calculate Velocity in Pipe Using Friction Factor and Kinematic Viscosity?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the velocity, flow rate, type of flow, and pressure at point A in a system where water flows from a flow tank at point A to a free surface at point B through a cast iron pipeline with given parameters. The friction factor, kinematic viscosity, and coefficients of losses are provided, but the flow rate is not given. The student attempts to find the velocity using the assumption of laminar flow, but is corrected by another user who suggests using a modified Bernoulli equation and the continuity equation to relate flow velocity.
foo9008

Homework Statement

water flows from flow tank at A through cat iron pipeline to free surface at B . Given friction factor , f = 0.023, kinematic viscosity = 1.02 x10^-6 (m^2 0 /s , coefficient of losses for entrance , bend , valve = 0.5 , 0.9 and 10 . [/B]
in this question , i am asked to find the velocity , flow rate , type of flow and pressure at A .
for the first part , I'm asked to find the velocity . The flow rate is not given , how could the velocity be found ? Since Q = Av ,
7aFykHd.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume the flow as laminar at first , where reynold number less than 2000 ,
so i have f = 64 / Re
0.023 = 64(1.02 x10^-6)/ 1000 / ( 1000 x v x 150x10^-3) , v = 2.08x10^-8 , is my answer correct ? my reynold number is rather samll , which is 3.05 only , is it possible ? [/B]

is my answer correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

water flows from flow tank at A through cat iron pipeline to free surface at B . Given friction factor , f = 0.023, kinematic viscosity = 1.02 x10^-6 (m^2 0 /s , coefficient of losses for entrance , bend , valve = 0.5 , 0.9 and 10 . [/B]
in this question , i am asked to find the velocity , flow rate , type of flow and pressure at A .
for the first part , I'm asked to find the velocity . The flow rate is not given , how could the velocity be found ? Since Q = Av ,
7aFykHd.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume the flow as laminar at first , where reynold number less than 2000 ,
so i have f = 64 / Re
0.023 = 64(1.02 x10^-6)/ 1000 / ( 1000 x v x 150x10^-3) , v = 2.08x10^-8 , is my answer correct ? my reynold number is rather samll , which is 3.05 only , is it possible ? [/B]

is my answer correct ?
You're given a friction factor for the cast iron pipe of f = 0.023, which appears to be for fully turbulent flow. This would suggest that the initial assumption of laminar flow would be incorrect.

Reynolds No. for the flow in the pipe is going to be calculated by the formula ##Re = V * D / \nu##,
or Re = 147060 * V, where V is the velocity of the flow in m/s.

Your calculated flow velocity is 2 × 10-8 m/s, which means the water would take 161 years to move from the entrance of the pipe to the exit, so no, you need to try again.

BTW, laminar flow where water is the fluid realistically occurs only where the flow velocity is extremely slow, as you have already found, or the diameter of the pipe is extremely small.

For a fluid to have laminar flow in a 150 mm pipe, its kinematic viscosity must be much, much greater than the viscosity of water.

Likes foo9008
SteamKing said:
You're given a friction factor for the cast iron pipe of f = 0.023, which appears to be for fully turbulent flow. This would suggest that the initial assumption of laminar flow would be incorrect.

Reynolds No. for the flow in the pipe is going to be calculated by the formula ##Re = V * D / \nu##,
or Re = 147060 * V, where V is the velocity of the flow in m/s.

Your calculated flow velocity is 2 × 10-8 m/s, which means the water would take 161 years to move from the entrance of the pipe to the exit, so no, you need to try again.

BTW, laminar flow where water is the fluid realistically occurs only where the flow velocity is extremely slow, as you have already found, or the diameter of the pipe is extremely small.

For a fluid to have laminar flow in a 150 mm pipe, its kinematic viscosity must be much, much greater than the viscosity of water.
sorry , i made a mistake . i forgot it's kinematic viscosity , in my previous working , i assume the kinematic viscosity as dynamic viscosity ...

pls ignore my previous working.

so, how to find the velocity in this question ? the head loss and flow rate are not given... if it's turbulent the equation that i can use is hf (head loss) = fL(v^2) / 2gD

in the previous working , i use 32(dynamic viscosity)(L)(veloxity) / (rho)(g)(D^2) which is only applicable for laminar flow...can anyone help ?

Bump

foo9008 said:
sorry , i made a mistake . i forgot it's kinematic viscosity , in my previous working , i assume the kinematic viscosity as dynamic viscosity ...

so, how to find the velocity in this question ? the head loss and flow rate are not given... if it's turbulent the equation that i can use is hf (head loss) = fL(v^2) / 2gD

in the previous working , i use 32(dynamic viscosity)(L)(veloxity) / (rho)(g)(D^2) which is only applicable for laminar flow...can anyone help ?
Well, you have to do a bit of analysis here.

You can write a modified Bernoulli equation which includes the head loss due to friction, according to the Darcy relation, which should give you a relationship based on flow velocity. The continuity equation can also be used to relate flow velocity into the pipe with flow velocity out of the pipe.
foo9008 said:

Well, start by figuring out how fast the water must flow inside a 150 mm cast iron pipe to become fully turbulent.

Hint: Use the famous Moody diagram to help you.

SteamKing said:
Well, you have to do a bit of analysis here.

You can write a modified Bernoulli equation which includes the head loss due to friction, according to the Darcy relation, which should give you a relationship based on flow velocity. The continuity equation can also be used to relate flow velocity into the pipe with flow velocity out of the pipe.

Well, start by figuring out how fast the water must flow inside a 150 mm cast iron pipe to become fully turbulent.

Hint: Use the famous Moody diagram to help you.
when f = 0.023, and e/D = 0.026 / 150 , i gt Re= 8x10^6 , does it make sense?

so , i gt v = 54.4m/s , is it okay ?

however the pressure that i found is very big , which is 3.9x1067 pa , is it correct ?

The pressure act on exit of B is atmospheric pressure, I took it as 0...
RrfgbkV.jpg

Last edited:
foo9008 said:
when f = 0.023, and e/D = 0.026 / 150 , i gt Re= 8x10^6 , does it make sense?

so , i gt v = 54.4m/s , is it okay ?

however the pressure that i found is very big , which is 3.9x1067 pa , is it correct ?

The pressure act on exit of B is atmospheric pressure, I took it as 0...
RrfgbkV.jpg
Your flow Reynolds No. and resulting flow velocity look high for fully turbulent flow for this size pipe. Did you read your Moody diagram correctly?

Remember, head loss thru straight pipe is calculated as f * (L/D) * v2 / (2g).

Fixing these calculations will result in a different pressure at point A. Always double check what you write. You have Pa = 3.9 × 1067 Pa in your post above. The image has 3.9 × 107 Pa.

Remember to calculate the flow rate once you have the flow velocity.

Related to How to Calculate Velocity in Pipe Using Friction Factor and Kinematic Viscosity?

1. What is the formula for finding velocity in a pipe?

The formula for finding velocity in a pipe is V = Q/A, where V is velocity, Q is volumetric flow rate, and A is cross-sectional area of the pipe.

2. How do I measure the volumetric flow rate in a pipe?

The volumetric flow rate in a pipe can be measured using a flow meter, which measures the amount of fluid passing through a specific point in a given time. Other methods include using a stopwatch and measuring the volume of fluid collected in a specific time period.

3. Can the velocity in a pipe be calculated if the flow rate is unknown?

No, the velocity in a pipe cannot be calculated without knowing the flow rate. However, the flow rate can be estimated using the Bernoulli's equation or by using a manometer to measure the pressure difference between two points in the pipe.

4. How does the size of a pipe affect the velocity of fluid?

The size of a pipe directly affects the velocity of fluid. A smaller pipe diameter will result in a higher velocity, while a larger pipe diameter will result in a lower velocity. This is due to the conservation of mass, where the same flow rate must pass through a smaller cross-sectional area, resulting in a higher velocity.

5. Is the velocity in a pipe constant?

No, the velocity in a pipe is not constant. It varies depending on the flow rate, pipe diameter, and any changes in the pipe's geometry or elevation. Additionally, as the fluid flows through the pipe, friction and turbulence can also affect the velocity. However, the average velocity can be calculated using the volumetric flow rate and pipe diameter.