How to Calculate Wavelength of a Water Wave with Given Speed and Cork Movement

• Thread starter ChunkymonkeyI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type Waves
In summary, the question is asking for the wavelength of a water wave with a speed of 0.25 meters per second that causes a cork to move up and down 4.0 times in 8 seconds. The equation used to solve this is wavelength = speed/frequency, and the frequency can be found using the equation T = 1/f. It is important to note that time is not frequency and frequency is measured in units of 1/seconds.
ChunkymonkeyI

Homework Statement

There is a water wave having a speed of .25 meter per second that causes a cork to move up and down 4.0 times in 8 seconds
what is the wavelength of the water wave

Homework Equations

v=f times wavelength
T=1/f
x=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula wavelength =v/f and I plugged v for 0.25 m/s.
For frequency I plugged 8 seconds but Idk think I did that part right. I'm alittle confused on what 4.0 times in 8 seconds is? Like is it the period?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what frequency is? (Hint** time is not frequency. What units does frequency have?)

FAQ: How to Calculate Wavelength of a Water Wave with Given Speed and Cork Movement

1. What is a "Waves type problem 1"?

"Waves type problem 1" refers to a specific type of problem or question related to waves, which can include topics such as wave properties, wave equations, and wave behavior.

2. How do waves behave?

Waves behave by transferring energy and momentum as they propagate through a medium. They can also exhibit characteristics such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference.

3. What are the equations for waves?

The equations for waves depend on the specific type of wave. Some common equations include the wave equation, which describes the motion of a wave, and the speed of a wave equation, which relates the speed of a wave to its wavelength and frequency.

4. What are the properties of waves?

The properties of waves include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a given time, and speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium.

5. How can I solve a "Waves type problem 1"?

To solve a "Waves type problem 1", you will need to use the relevant equations and apply them to the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify what is given and what is asked for, and use the appropriate formula to calculate the answer.