How to Calculate Work Done by a Motor Pulling a Cup through a Parabola?

In summary, the student is trying to find the work done by a motor when it pulls a cup through an upside down parabola shape. He is trying to find the forces on the cup and the "dots" with distance.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

This isn't actually a homework question (well it is for homework). Basically for one of our projects we had a motor pull a cup through an upside down parabola shape. The motor was located off-axis in comparison to the parabola. The cup started from zero, then as the motor rotated it would wind the string and thus pull the cup.
Now I need to calculate the work done on the cup by the motor (neglecting friction and such).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do here.
I thought of getting equations for both accelerations (tangential and normal), then combining them into just one acceleration. integrating over all radii (it decreases) to get the total force exerted, but I'm not sure it's additive? Then maybe multiply that total force by the arc length of the parabola?

Either way, I'm just looking for suggestions on how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Melawrghk said:
Basically for one of our projects we had a motor pull a cup through an upside down parabola shape. The motor was located off-axis in comparison to the parabola. The cup started from zero, then as the motor rotated it would wind the string and thus pull the cup.
Now I need to calculate the work done on the cup by the motor (neglecting friction and such).

Hi Melawrghk! :smile:

Work done = force dot distance,

so what are the forces on the cup, and what are the "dots" with distance?

Hey thanks for the reply!

Well for forces, there are weight, tension in the string, normal force (from the rail that makes up the parabola). I only know the weight though...

As for the dots in distance, there are i and j. 'i' would be the horizontal span of the parabola (it's like 20 cm, I think) and 'j' would be zero? Because it returns to the same height as it started. Or is it the absolute value (in which case it's double the height)?

Melawrghk said:
Well for forces, there are weight, tension in the string, normal force ...

As for the dots in distance, there are i and j. 'i' would be the horizontal span of the parabola (it's like 20 cm, I think) and 'j' would be zero? Because it returns to the same height as it started. Or is it the absolute value (in which case it's double the height)?

Slow down!

To find the work done , it's easier to "dot" each force separately (especially since the direction of two of the forces is changing).

For the weight, I would choose i and j as you suggest.

But for the normal force and the tension, choose i and j to be the tangent and normal directions. :wink:

Hah, okay :D

So for weight, it's just 'j'.
And for tension and normal I'd tilt (rotate, I suppose) the axis.

Since tension and normal are changing, does that mean I'll need an equation for each, relating it to the distance from the point of rotation? (or maybe the x-coordinate, now that I think of it)
Could I then find work done by each force when the cup is moved over an infinitesimal piece of parabola and integrate over the whole thing?

Thanks so much for the help!

Melawrghk said:
Since tension and normal are changing, does that mean I'll need an equation for each, relating it to the distance from the point of rotation?

what rotation? this isn't torque :confused:
Could I then find work done by each force when the cup is moved over an infinitesimal piece of parabola and integrate over the whole thing?

Yes, you find the infintesimal work done at each point, and then integrate. :smile:

Sorry, bad wording... I meant, as the cup moves through the parabola, the radius will change. I don't really remember why I called it rotation...

Awesome! Thanks, I'll try that :)

FAQ: How to Calculate Work Done by a Motor Pulling a Cup through a Parabola?

1. What is the meaning of "work done in a parabolic shape"?

The term "work done in a parabolic shape" refers to the calculation of the amount of work done by a force on an object that follows a parabolic path. This type of work is commonly seen in physics and engineering problems involving projectiles or objects moving in a curved path.

2. How is work done in a parabolic shape different from other types of work?

Work done in a parabolic shape is different from other types of work because it takes into account the changing direction of the force and the displacement of the object. In other types of work, such as work done by a constant force on an object, the direction of the force and the displacement are usually constant.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done in a parabolic shape?

The amount of work done in a parabolic shape is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the force, the angle of the parabolic path, and the distance the object travels along the path. The mass and velocity of the object also play a role in determining the work done.

4. How is the work done in a parabolic shape calculated?

The work done in a parabolic shape is calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents displacement. However, in the case of a parabolic path, the force and displacement are vectors and must be broken down into their horizontal and vertical components to accurately calculate the work done.

5. What are some real-life applications of work done in a parabolic shape?

Work done in a parabolic shape has many practical applications, such as calculating the work done by a pitcher throwing a baseball, the work done by a roller coaster on its tracks, or the work done by a diver jumping off a diving board. It is also used in designing and analyzing projectiles, such as rockets and missiles, and in understanding the motion of objects in orbit.