How to Calculate Work Done by Tension in a Vertical Rope for a Moving Mass

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a vertical rope, a block with a mass of 48.3 kg, a constant acceleration of 1.54 m/s2, and a distance of 2.47 m. The equation W = F "dot" d is used to calculate the work done, where F is the force and d is the distance. However, the correct equation is W = F * d. The correct answer is approximately 987 J.
NasuSama
Sorry for the second post, but I want to know how to solve such problem when it comes to this situation.

Homework Statement

A vertical rope is used to lower a block of mass M = 48.3 kg at a constant acceleration of magnitude a = 1.54 m/s2. Find WT, the work done by the tension in the cord if the mass moves down distance s = 2.47 m.

Homework Equations

→W = mad

The Attempt at a Solution

Hm... Tried to use this form:

W = m(g - a)d

But I'm not sure if I'm at the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems correct to me :)
m(g-a) is the force used to reduce the block acceleration.
then m(g-a)d is the work done..nothing else to be considered anymore from here

Hi NasuSama! :smile:
NasuSama said:
→W = mad

No.

The definition of work done is W = F "dot" d
Hm... Tried to use this form:

W = m(g - a)d

But I'm not sure if I'm at the right path.

How did you get that equation? Did you use F = ma?

If so, your F is correct, your d is correct, but your "dot" isn't. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi NasuSama! :smile:No.

The definition of work done is W = F "dot" dHow did you get that equation? Did you use F = ma?

If so, your F is correct, your d is correct, but your "dot" isn't. :wink:

So W = F * d [Can't do the dot].

I used F = ma to get the equation. What about the answer? Is it correct. You said F is correct and d is correct, right?

My answer is around 987 J, but it's incorrect.

W = m(g - a) [dot] d doesn't seem quite right.

Never mind. I got the solution!

Related to How to Calculate Work Done by Tension in a Vertical Rope for a Moving Mass

1. What are some common work problems?

Common work problems can include issues with time management, communication, workload, conflicts with coworkers or superiors, and a lack of motivation or satisfaction with job tasks.

2. How can I improve my work performance?

To improve work performance, it is important to set clear goals and priorities, maintain good communication with coworkers and superiors, manage your time effectively, and continuously seek opportunities for learning and growth within your role.

3. How do I handle conflicts with coworkers?

When faced with conflicts with coworkers, it is important to remain calm and professional, actively listen to their perspective, and try to find a solution that benefits everyone involved. If necessary, involve a mediator or bring the issue to a supervisor for assistance.

4. How can I stay motivated at work?

To stay motivated at work, it can be helpful to set achievable goals, find ways to make your job tasks more enjoyable or rewarding, and seek support from coworkers or superiors. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help prevent burnout and maintain motivation.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with my workload?

If you are struggling with your workload, it is important to communicate with your superiors and prioritize tasks based on their level of urgency. Additionally, you can try delegating tasks to coworkers or seeking additional resources or support to help manage your workload more effectively.