How to Calculate Work Done from an Acceleration vs. Time Graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done from 0 to 4 meters using a graph and a 2 kg particle. The suggested method is to multiply the force of the particle by its acceleration to create a new force vs. displacement graph and then calculate the area under the linear curve. However, this method did not work and the individual realizes they may not have enough information for an integral solution. They then discuss their attempt at finding work done from 1 to 2 meters and realize they were reading the graph incorrectly. The correct method is to convert the y-values from acceleration to force and then re-graph as a graph of force vs. displacement. The conversation also touches on finding velocity at x meters and the use of the
CAllensworth

Homework Statement

Given Data: Graph, 2 kg particle.I am asked to calculate the work done from 0 to 4 meters, or some other interval. Normally I would simply multiply the FORCE of the given particle by multiplying 6m/s^2 times 2kg to create a new force vs. displacement graph, and then calculate the area under the linear piecewise curve. I am doing something wrong

Homework Equations

[/B]
acceleration_vs_time_work_by_falchiongpx-d82wk1e.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate the forces as 2kg*acceleration to get the variable force y-values. Calculate area under curve... does not work according to book. Do not seem have enough info for an integral solution.

Sample attempt for Work (J) done from 1 to 2 meters..

1/2(1m*(2kg*18 m/s^2))

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to have an acceleration vs displacement graph (bottom horizontal axis).
Work is the area under the force vs displacement graph.
From 1-2m the area is a triangle ... which you did.
What is the problem?

In the first meter, judging from the picture, the triangle under the line has an area of (1 m*18 m/s2)/2 = 9 m2/s2

Now you multiply that by the 2kg of mass, and get 18 Joule. The units are right: acceleration [LT-2] by displacement [L] by mass [M], hence ML2T-2.

That way, you can continue the integration 'by eye'...

I found out that I misreading the graph from the book. The book labels the scale as = 6m/s2. Every horizontal line represented was actually 2m/s2, with the graph maxing out at 6m/s2. Unfortunately, as was actually the MAX value for the graph. My problem was with reading the scale incorrectly. The teacher was kind enough to go over the problem with me where I realized that each increment of the y-value was 2 m/s2, instead of 6 m/s2.

Note: apologies if I mislabeled the last graph. Please let me know if this is wrong.

Corrected Graph Accel vs Displacement Graph, this is a better representation of what was in the book:

While as = 6m/s

acceleration_vs_disp_work_corrected_by_falchiongpx-d82x92j.jpg

Solution:
a) Read the graph carefully, and locate all notations, even if you require a microscope.
b) Convert y-values on the graph from acceleration to FORCE via F=ma:
6m/s2(2 kg)=12 Newtons, hold the figs

i. Re-graph as a graph of F (x), and calculate the area under the curve for the W.
f_x__vs_disp_for_work_by_falchiongpx-d82x9f4.jpg

ii. For finding the velocity at x meters, take the integral of F(x)...

Antiderivative of F(x) results in 1/2mv2
InteGRAL over a an interVAL.
(I'm new to integration)

W=W=1/2mv2 - 1/2mv20

Which is coincidental:
ΔKE=KE-KE0

And where initial velocity is zero.

v=√[(2*J)/(m)] → v=√[(2*J)/(2 kg)]
Does the particle change direction? Answer: what has the greatest energy? The energy for a slowdown or the energy for a speedup?

This allows for solving Work Done, and Velocity from a(x). Acceleration as it relates to Displacement.​

Last edited:
ii. For finding the velocity at x meters, take the integral of F(x)...
... or use the work-energy theorem.

Related to How to Calculate Work Done from an Acceleration vs. Time Graph?

1. What is the difference between work and acceleration?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's velocity. Work is a measure of energy transfer, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is work related to acceleration?

Work and acceleration are related through the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. This means that in order to do work on an object, a force must be applied over a certain distance. Acceleration is also related to work through the equation W = 1/2mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity. This equation shows that work is directly proportional to the change in an object's velocity, which is determined by acceleration.

3. Can work be negative when acceleration is positive?

Yes, work can be negative when acceleration is positive. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. In this scenario, work is considered to be done against the motion of the object, resulting in a negative value.

4. How does time affect the relationship between work and acceleration?

Time does not directly affect the relationship between work and acceleration. However, time can be used to calculate the average acceleration of an object using the equation a = (v2 - v1)/t, where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities, respectively. This average acceleration can then be used to calculate the work done on the object.

5. What is the significance of the work from acceleration vs time graph?

The work from acceleration vs time graph shows the relationship between the work done on an object and its acceleration over a period of time. This graph can provide insights into the energy transfer and motion of an object, and can be used to analyze the efficiency of different systems and processes. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the relationship between work, acceleration, and time.