How to check if this limit is correct or not?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of a function involving the super-logarithm and the possibility of different values for the limit depending on the definition of the super-logarithm, particularly for non-integer values. The participants also mention the limited knowledge and understanding of properties of superlogarithms and the need for further investigation to determine the correct value of the limit.
Kumar8434
I can't prove it and I've got it by some intuition because not many properties of superlogarithms are known. I don't think anyone can prove it but is there some way to at least check if it is correct.
The limit is:
$$\lim_{h\rightarrow0}slog_{[log_xx+h]}[log_{f(x)}f(x+h)]$$
where ##slog## is the super-logarithm.
What I need to check is if this limit equals:
$$log_{log_xf(x)}[\frac{d(f(x))}{dx}\frac{x}{y}]$$
for any function ##f(x)##. It's true when ##f(x)=x^n##. But is there some way to check if it's right or wrong for other functions?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't find any option to edit my above post, so I'm adding this here.
I think there's one more possibility of what that limit might evaluate to. It is $$\frac{d(f(x))}{dx}*\frac{x}{y}*\frac{logx}{logy}$$. It's also satisfied by ##f(x)=x^n## but I can't check it for other functions. Please tell me some way to check which of these expressions should be the correct value of the limit or if both of these are wrong.

How do you define the super-logarithm for non-integer values?

mfb said:
How do you define the super-logarithm for non-integer values?
I could be wrong but isn't the superlogarithm defined for special types of fractional values just like the super-root?
For example, when
$$^nx=y$$ when n is an integer then,
$$x=^{\frac{1}{n}}y$$
So, $$slog_yx=\frac{1}{n}$$
I think that extends its range to an infinite number of fractional values of the form ##\frac{1}{n}## the interval [0,1]. That makes the graph almost continuous in the interval [0,1]. I need to know that if the limit I've evaluated is in agreement with this almost continuous graph.
And if that's not possible, then use some extension of superlogarithm on reals, if they don't give too much different values.

Wikipedia discusses two definitions. Looks like there is no obvious single definition around.

mfb said:
Wikipedia discusses two definitions. Looks like there is no obvious single definition around.
Then is it correct if the graph of slogx is assumed to be straight line between the points on which it is defined?

Related to How to check if this limit is correct or not?

1. How do I know if I have correctly calculated a limit?

To check if you have correctly calculated a limit, you can use the limit definition and plug in the value that the limit is approaching. If the resulting value matches the limit definition, then you have correctly calculated the limit.

2. What are the common mistakes when evaluating limits?

Some common mistakes when evaluating limits include forgetting to check for removable discontinuities, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and not considering the behavior of the function at the limit point.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my limit?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your limit. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give accurate results and can sometimes round off or truncate numbers, leading to incorrect answers.

4. How do I know if my limit does not exist?

If you encounter an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, when evaluating a limit, then the limit does not exist. Additionally, if the left-hand and right-hand limits do not match, then the overall limit does not exist.

5. What are some strategies for evaluating limits?

Some strategies for evaluating limits include factoring and simplifying the expression, using algebraic manipulations such as L'Hopital's rule, looking for patterns or common terms, and using trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to graph the function to visualize the behavior at the limit point.