How to compile programs in notepad++?

• Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary: Notepad++ is an editor without any compiler, not a full blown development environment. If you want to run a compiler from Notepad++ you need to have a compiler installed for the language in question and you must then configure Notepad++ to call this compiler. I think the Visual Studio environment is a tonne better (and I prefer VC 6.0 to the later versions), but dev-cpp is still ok.
pairofstrings
I cannot find the compile button anywhere in the program. Is there a shortcut key to compile the programs in notepad++?
Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
pairofstrings said:
I cannot find the compile button anywhere in the program. Is there a shortcut key to compile the programs in notepad++?
Thanks!

Maybe you are looking for something like this:

http://npp-community.tuxfamily.org/documentation/notepad-user-manual/commands

You will have to use the right variables and look at the compiler command line arguments, but this should do the trick.

What compiler are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
chiro said:
What compiler are you using?
I was thinking maybe notepad++ will compile my written code and then run it. I don't know how to provide the path for a compiler.
I found the 'run' button under 'Run' menu but couldn't find compile button... therefore, I asked if there is any predefined short-cut key in notepad++ to compile the program.

pairofstrings said:
I cannot find the compile button anywhere in the program.
Thanks!

You should be aware, that Notepad++ is "just" an editor without any compiler, not a full blown development environment. If you want to run a compiler from Notepad++ you need to have a compiler installed for the language in question and you must then configure Notepad++ to call this compiler.

Can anyone tell me any program where I can write, compile and run few C/C++ programs in Windows.

pairofstrings said:
Can anyone tell me any program where I can write, compile and run few C/C++ programs in Windows.

Dev-CPP is a good fit for your needs:

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

It's completely free and has a lot of features.

Personal note: I think the visual studio environment is a tonne better (and I prefer VC 6.0 to the later versions), but dev-cpp is still ok.

Cygwin.

swartzism said:
Cygwin.

is not an IDE or an editor :rolleyes:

Do you know what visual editor is? :rolleyes:

Related to How to compile programs in notepad++?

1. How do I compile a program in Notepad++?

To compile a program in Notepad++, you will need to install a compiler such as MinGW or Cygwin. Once you have a compiler installed, you can go to the "Run" menu and select "Run" or press F5 to open the "Run" dialog box. In the dialog box, enter the command to compile your program, for example "gcc myprogram.c -o myprogram.exe". Then press enter and your program will be compiled.

2. Can I compile multiple files at once in Notepad++?

Yes, you can compile multiple files at once in Notepad++ by creating a batch file. In the batch file, you can enter the commands to compile each of your files and then run the batch file from the "Run" menu or by pressing F5.

3. How can I change the default compiler in Notepad++?

To change the default compiler in Notepad++, go to the "Run" menu and select "Set Launch Options". In the dialog box, you can enter the command to change the default compiler, for example "set LaunchGcc". Then click "Save" and your changes will be applied.

4. What should I do if my program doesn't compile in Notepad++?

If your program doesn't compile in Notepad++, there could be several reasons. Make sure that you have installed a compiler and set it as the default in Notepad++. Also, check for any errors in your code that may be causing the compilation to fail. If you are still having trouble, try searching for solutions online or seeking help from a programming community.

5. Can I compile programs in different programming languages in Notepad++?

Yes, you can compile programs in different programming languages in Notepad++ as long as you have the appropriate compiler installed. Notepad++ supports a variety of programming languages, including C++, Java, Python, and more. You can change the default compiler for each language in the "Run" menu by selecting "Set Launch Options".