How to Compute Inverse Fourier Transform for a Specific Function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse Fourier transform of a given function and how to approach it. There are some minor corrections to the initial input and it is suggested to use a variable transform to get the integral in a standard form. The necessary conditions for A are also discussed.
mathy_girl
Hi all,

I'm having a bit trouble computing the Inverse Fourier Transform of the following:

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\exp\left(\frac{1}{2} \alpha^2 C^2(K) \tau \omega^2\right)[/tex]

Here, [tex]C^2(K)[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex] can be assumed to be constant. Hence, we have an integral with respect to [tex]\omega[/tex].

Who can help me out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you want to find the inverse Fourier transform of
[tex]\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\exp(A \omega^2)[/tex]?

It should be:

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{-2 A}}\exp\left(\frac{t^2}{4A}\right)[/tex]

jpreed said:
So you want to find the inverse Fourier transform of
[tex]\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\exp(A \omega^2)[/tex]?

It should be:

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{-2 A}}\exp\left(\frac{t^2}{4A}\right)[/tex]

A < 0 is necessary.

One can do a suitable variable transform to get the integral in the form

e-x2 dx
with limits
-∞ to +∞

which can be looked up in a standard table of integrals. I suspect the answer is what jpreed gave in post #2.

Whoops.. I just figured that there are two small mistakes in my first post, I would like to have the Inverse Fourier Transform of:
[tex]\frac{\alpha^2}{2\pi}\exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} \alpha^2 C^2(K) \tau \omega^2\right)[/tex]

Here, note that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is squared, and a minus sign is added in the argument of exp.

Don't know if that makes a lot of difference?

Not really. Just replace A with -A in all the responses.

mathman said:
A < 0 is necessary.

That would become

-A < 0​
or in other words
A > 0​

FAQ: How to Compute Inverse Fourier Transform for a Specific Function

What is an Inverse Fourier Transform?

An Inverse Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the frequency domain and converts it back into its original form in the time domain. This allows us to analyze signals and data in both the frequency and time domains.

How is an Inverse Fourier Transform calculated?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is calculated using the formula: f(x) = (1/2π)∫F(ω)e^iωx dω, where f(x) is the function in the time domain, F(ω) is the function in the frequency domain, and i is the imaginary unit.

What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform are closely related to each other. The Fourier Transform takes a function in the time domain and converts it into its representation in the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform does the opposite, converting a function in the frequency domain back into the time domain.

What are some applications of the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is used in a variety of fields, including signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is particularly useful in analyzing periodic functions, such as sound waves and electrical signals.

What are the limitations of the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is limited in its ability to accurately reconstruct a function in the time domain if the function in the frequency domain is not well-defined or if there is noise present. It also has difficulty dealing with non-periodic signals and functions with sharp discontinuities.