How to Convert Miles to Kilometers with a Conversion Chain

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary: You want to know how many ft are in 1 km, so I started with 1 km. The 1 in the denominator is just a placeholder.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Starting with the definition $1 in.=2.54 cm$ find km in 1 mi
$1 mi= \left(\dfrac{2.54cm}{1 in}\right)\left(\dfrac{63360 in}{1 mi}\right)\left(\dfrac{1 km}{100000 cm}\right)= km$
google says 1mi=1.60934km so something wrong with my conversion chain

here is a collection MHB replies I am sending to friends probably a typo here and there
using orangedox to count the downloads so far 5
https://dl.orangedox.com/6rStfn4eMFHuHvAKuX

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$\dfrac{5280 \, ft}{mile} \cdot \dfrac{12 \, in}{ft} \cdot \dfrac{2.54 \, cm}{in} \cdot \dfrac{1 \, m}{100 \, cm} \cdot \dfrac{1 \, km}{1000 \, m}$

conversion.png

karush said:
Starting with the definition $1 in.=2.54 cm$ find km in 1 mi
$1 mi= \left(\dfrac{2.54cm}{1 in}\right)\left(\dfrac{63360 in}{1 mi}\right)\left(\dfrac{1 km}{100000 cm}\right)= km$
google says 1mi=1.60934km so something wrong with my conversion chain

here is a collection MHB replies I am sending to friends probably a typo here and there
using orangedox to count the downloads so far 5
https://dl.orangedox.com/6rStfn4eMFHuHvAKuX
The units on the LHS are miles and the units on the right are km/mi. It's a sloppy way to set this up. I'd write it this way:
\(\displaystyle 1 ~ \text{mi} = \dfrac{1 ~ \text{mi}}{1} \cdot \dfrac{63360 ~ \text{in}}{1 ~ \text{mi}} \cdot \dfrac{2.54 ~ \text{cm}}{1 ~ \text{in}} \cdot \dfrac{1 ~ \text{km}}{100000 ~ \text{cm}}= 1.609344 ~ \text{km}\)

Also, many conversion factors are not exact. For example, it is true that 5280 ft = 1 mi exactly. But there didn't used to be exactly 2.54 cm in 1 in. (The inch was redefined after WWII.) So as long as your answer is at least close to the "correct answer" you are fine.

-Dan

Starting with the definition $1 in.=2.54 cm$
find ft in km
$ \dfrac{1\ \cancel{in}}{2.54 \cancel{cm}}\cdot\dfrac{1\ ft}{12\ \cancel{in}}\cdot 10^5 \cancel{cm}$

google says $1 km = 3280.84 ft$

couldn't get it altho a simple problem

karush said:
Starting with the definition $1 in.=2.54 cm$
find ft in km
$ \dfrac{1\ \cancel{in}}{2.54 \cancel{cm}}\cdot\dfrac{1\ ft}{12\ \cancel{in}}\cdot 10^5 \cancel{cm}$

google says $1 km = 3280.84 ft$

couldn't get it altho a simple problem
Again you are being sloppy in how you are setting this up.
\(\displaystyle 1 ~ \text{km} = \dfrac{1 ~ \text{km}}{1} \cdot \dfrac{100000 ~ \text{cm}}{1 ~ \text{km}} \cdot \dfrac{1 ~ \text{in}}{2.54 ~ \text{cm}} \cdot \dfrac{1 ~ \text{ft}}{12 ~ \text{in}}= 3280.84 ~ \text{ft}\)

I don't know why you didn't get the Google answer.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Again you are being sloppy in how you are setting this up.
\(\displaystyle 1 ~ \text{km} = \dfrac{1 ~ \text{km}}{1} \cdot \dfrac{100000 ~ \text{cm}}{1 ~ \text{km}} \cdot \dfrac{1 ~ \text{in}}{2.54 ~ \text{cm}} \cdot \dfrac{1 ~ \text{ft}}{12 ~ \text{in}}= 3280.84 ~ \text{ft}\)

I don't know why you didn't get the Google answer.

-Dan
not sure why you have as the first term $\dfrac{1 km}{1}$ ?

this problem was a very popular online but so many sacred cows it just got more?
plus too much become a member with cc and we will help...
its better just to stay here
I was getting the numbers correct but the decimal was always way off

karush said:
not sure why you have as the first term $\dfrac{1 km}{1}$ ?
You want to know how many ft are in 1 km, so I started with 1 km. The 1 in the denominator is just a placeholder.

-Dan

Related to How to Convert Miles to Kilometers with a Conversion Chain

What is the conversion rate from miles to kilometers?

The conversion rate from miles to kilometers is 1 mile to 1.60934 kilometers.

How do you convert miles to kilometers?

To convert miles to kilometers, simply multiply the number of miles by 1.60934.

What is the purpose of finding km in 1 mi?

The purpose of finding km in 1 mi is to convert distances measured in miles to the metric system, which is commonly used in scientific research.

Why is the conversion rate not an exact number?

The conversion rate from miles to kilometers is not an exact number because it is based on the conversion of two different units of measurement, which have different values and origins.

Can the conversion rate change over time?

The conversion rate from miles to kilometers is a constant value and does not change over time.