How to Convert Phasor Back to Time Domain for Evaluating Current at t=2s?

In summary, the professor is saying that you should convert the 250t term (in radians) to degrees and then use that value to find the sin() function.
dimsum1

Homework Statement

YfO78.png

Homework Equations

ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

After converting it from time domain to phasor domain
my answer is I=17.6[itex]\angle[/itex]25mA.

How am I suppose to show the current at time = 2 sec? Do I just plug in 2 and find the sine of it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dimsum1 said:

Homework Statement

YfO78.png

Homework Equations

ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

After converting it from time domain to phasor domain
my answer is I=17.6[itex]\angle[/itex]25A.

How am I suppose to show the current at time = 2 sec? Do I just plug in 2 and find the sine of it?

That's what I would do...

So the answer is 6.47mA? Or is it I=17.6∠25mA? I don't understand what the hint is referring to.

dimsum1 said:
So the answer is 6.47mA? Or is it I=17.6∠25mA? I don't understand what the hint is referring to.

That answer looks okay to me. The hint (more of a reminder) is just saying to always be careful to be consistent in the units of the argument to the sin() function. Since they show the 25 with a degrees sign on it, you need to check that the 250t term is also in degrees. By inspection it seems plausible that it is, since radian measurements will generally have a ∏ in them somewhere. If the function were 25sin(3∏t + 25o), then you would need to convert one or the other into different units, and make sure your calculator was set to those units when calculating the answer.

Make sense?

berkeman said:
That answer looks okay to me.

I typed two answers, 6.47mA and I=17.6∠25mA, which answer are you saying looks okay?

I thought the hint imply that what I was originally doing was wrong (where I originally arrived at I=17.6∠25mA ) because I had to do something with the 2 seconds which I did not do.

dimsum1 said:
I typed two answers, 6.47mA and I=17.6∠25mA, which answer are you saying looks okay?

I thought the hint imply that what I was originally doing was wrong (where I originally arrived at I=17.6∠25mA ) because I had to do something with the 2 seconds which I did not do.

To be honest, I haven't been understanding what you were trying to do with the phasor. Your 6.47mA answer is correct, I believe. 25sin(525o) = 6.47

Hmm, okay, it just seems to easy to be a question, this question feels kind of ambiguous because I don't think that was what the professor wants. Thanks for the input.

dimsum1 said:
okay? I typed two answers, 6.47mA

I don't like how that question is worded. Just be sure that 250t is in degrees and not radians.

The phasor has nothing to do with this question.

A phasor is another representation of a sinusoid where the time-varying part (ejwt) has been factored out. It's as if you wrote down the sin equation in another form and it won't tell you what value the waveform has at a specific time (t=2) unless you convert it back to sinusoidal form, plug t=2 into it and take the real part.

However, to be clear, you should mark the 25 in the angle part as 25 degrees because without units it could be understood to be in radians.

Last edited:

Related to How to Convert Phasor Back to Time Domain for Evaluating Current at t=2s?

1. What is a basic sinusoidal waveform problem?

A basic sinusoidal waveform problem is a mathematical problem that involves modeling a sine or cosine wave. This type of problem is commonly found in physics and engineering courses and is used to analyze the behavior of periodic systems.

2. How do I solve a basic sinusoidal waveform problem?

To solve a basic sinusoidal waveform problem, you will need to use the equation y = A sin(Bx + C) or y = A cos(Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift. You will also need to know the period of the wave, which is calculated by dividing 2π by the frequency. From there, you can plug in known values and use algebra to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some real-life applications of basic sinusoidal waveform problems?

Basic sinusoidal waveform problems are used to model and analyze many real-life phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and oscillating systems like pendulums and springs. They are also used in fields like acoustics, electronics, and signal processing.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic sinusoidal waveform problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic sinusoidal waveform problems include forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, using the wrong equation for the given problem, and not considering the appropriate units for the variables. It is also important to check your answer and ensure that it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving basic sinusoidal waveform problems?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving basic sinusoidal waveform problems, it is helpful to practice with a variety of problems and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials. It can also be beneficial to review the properties and graphs of sine and cosine functions and to understand the relationship between the variables in the waveform equation.