How to convert the energy in Joules to mass in a metric done

In summary, the conversation is about converting energy in joules to mass in a metric ton. The person asking for help is unsure of how to go about this and provides some information about using E=mc^2. The other person asks for more specific information, such as whether the energy is of a moving object or if they are looking for the mass of an object that gives off a certain amount of energy in joules. They also mention that using E=mc^2 will give the mass in kg, and the person just needs to find the conversion to metric tons.
bpollard
any help would be appreciated. not sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean convert energy in joules to mass in a metric done? I don't understand that statement.

What sort of system are you dealing with? Are you just trying to get a rest-mass for something given it's energy?

You have to give us more information, otherwise we can't help

sorry, you are right.
Let me try again, can you help me convert energy (in Joules) to a mass (metric Tons)
I can't figure out how to go about this.

E = mc2 , I suppose.

It's also unclear what exactly you're dealing with.

Is this the energy of a moving object?

Or are you specifically looking for mass of an object which when completely converted into energy gives off a certain amount in Joules?

If it's the latter then you just use [itex] E = mc^{2} [/itex] which will give you the mass in kg, then you just need to find how many kg are in a metric ton.

FAQ: How to convert the energy in Joules to mass in a metric done

1. How do I convert energy in Joules to mass in a metric ton?

To convert energy in Joules to mass in a metric ton, you can use the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy in Joules, m is mass in kilograms, and c is the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s). Simply divide the energy in Joules by the speed of light squared, and then convert the resulting mass in kilograms to metric tons by dividing by 1000.

2. What is the relationship between energy in Joules and mass in a metric ton?

The relationship between energy in Joules and mass in a metric ton is described by the equation E=mc². This means that the energy in Joules is directly proportional to the mass in kilograms, with the speed of light as a constant. As the energy increases, so does the mass, and vice versa.

3. How do I convert mass in a metric ton to energy in Joules?

To convert mass in a metric ton to energy in Joules, you can use the same equation E=mc². However, in this case, you will need to multiply the mass in metric tons by 1000 to convert it to kilograms. Then, simply multiply the mass in kilograms by the speed of light squared to get the energy in Joules.

4. Can energy be converted to mass and vice versa?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that energy can be converted to mass and vice versa. In fact, nuclear reactions involve the conversion of a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy.

5. Why do we need to convert energy in Joules to mass in a metric ton?

Energy in Joules is a unit of measurement commonly used to describe the amount of energy in a system or in a chemical reaction. However, when dealing with extremely large amounts of energy, such as in nuclear reactions, it is more convenient to express the energy in terms of mass. This is where converting energy in Joules to mass in a metric ton becomes useful.