How to Correctly Approach Partial Fraction Decomposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving a fraction using partial fraction decomposition. The participant attempts to separate the fraction into two linear terms and expand it, but gets stuck in the process. They ask for clarification and are reminded to factor the denominator first. The conversation ends with a suggested form for the decomposition.
kai92

Homework Statement

(x^3+4)/((x^2-1)(x^2+3x+2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Try separating them into Ax+B and Cx+D, then expand until
(A+C)x3+(3A+B+D)x2+(2A+3B-C)x+(2B-D)
then, I was stuck. I can't find any value for A,B,C or D. Is my attempt correct or is there other way to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your expansion. What must A+C equal to match the original numerator? Follow this line of reasoning for the other factors. You will wind up with a system of equations to solve.

kai92 said:

Homework Statement

(x^3+4)/((x^2-1)(x^2+3x+2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Try separating them into Ax+B and Cx+D, then expand until
(A+C)x3+(3A+B+D)x2+(2A+3B-C)x+(2B-D)
then, I was stuck. I can't find any value for A,B,C or D. Is my attempt correct or is there other way to solve it?

Did you factor the denominator? It's not clear to me from your work that you did. The right side should look something like this:
$$ \frac{A}{x - r_1} + \frac{B}{x - r_2} + \frac{C}{(x - r_2)^2} + \frac{D}{x - r_3}$$
The reason for the 3rd term above is that there is a repeated factor that is shared by the two quadratics in the denominator.

FAQ: How to Correctly Approach Partial Fraction Decomposition?

1. What is the purpose of finding partial fractions?

The purpose of finding partial fractions is to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions that are easier to integrate or manipulate. This can be useful in solving differential equations or evaluating integrals.

2. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a function, follow these steps:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
  2. Write the partial fraction decomposition with one fraction for each distinct factor.
  3. Set up a system of equations by equating the coefficients of the like terms in the original function and the partial fraction decomposition.
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the unknown coefficients.

3. Can all rational functions be written as partial fractions?

Yes, all rational functions with a proper fraction (numerator degree is less than denominator degree) can be written as partial fractions. However, improper fractions (numerator degree is equal to or greater than denominator degree) require a different method of decomposition.

4. Are there any restrictions when finding partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind when finding partial fractions:

• The degree of the numerator of the rational function must be less than the degree of the denominator.
  • The factors in the denominator must be distinct and irreducible (cannot be factored further).
  • If there are repeated factors in the denominator, the partial fraction decomposition will include a unique fraction for each power of the repeated factor.

5. Can partial fractions be used in real-life applications?

Yes, partial fractions can be used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and finance. They are commonly used in solving differential equations, evaluating integrals, and analyzing complex systems.