How to Create an Amortization Table for a Mortgage Loan with Blended Payments

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, Vanna will pay $1500 in interest and $170,000 in principal each month. The loan will be paid off in 300 months.
aisha
Amortization table question please help

Vanna has just financed the purchase of a home for $200 000. She agreed to repay the loan by making equal monthly blended payments of $1500 each at 9%/a compounded monthly

I need to create an amortization table using excel, I think I can do that following the example problem, but for this question I don't understand what they mean by blended payments what is the interest rate going to be? Also how will I figure out 1)how much sooner the loan would be paid off if she made a 15% down payment? 2) How much would Vanna have saved if she had obtained a loan at 7%/a compounded monthly?

DO I HAVE TO MAKE 3 amortization tables to answer all these questions or is there an easier way? PLZ HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
Vanna has just financed the purchase of a home for $200 000. She agreed to repay the loan by making equal monthly blended payments of $1500 each at 9%/a compounded monthly

I need to create an amortization table using excel, I think I can do that following the example problem, but for this question I don't understand what they mean by blended payments what is the interest rate going to be?
The blended payment is a fixed payment that includes interest and principal. The proportion of interest to principal decreases as the loan gets paid. Set up a spreadsheet with a column for interest and one for principal.

The interest rate each month would be 1/12 of 9% or 9/1200. (The compounding does not occur if the payment is made. Only if the payment is not made is the interest is added to principal and interest accrues on it).

Work out the interest each month. Ordinarily that would cover all the interest and you would use the remainder to pay down principal. But in this example, the loan interest is $1500 per month. So this is a poor question. Complain to your teacher. It is not a blended payment.

how much sooner the loan would be paid off if she made a 15% down payment?
This just reduces the initial principal. You start with an initial principal amount of $170,000. At least that principal can be paid down with a montly payment of $1500.

2) How much would Vanna have saved if she had obtained a loan at 7%/a compounded monthly?
This requires another spread sheet. However in this one, the interest each month is added at a rate of 7/1200 x principal. At $1500 per month, it will be paid sooner. The difference would be the number of months sooner x $1500 which, because the 9% loan will never be paid is infinity.

The best way to compare the two loans is to take the same amortization period and compare the monthly payments. But that requires a complicated formula or a computer program. For $200,000 at 7% amortized over 300 months the loan works out to $1413.56 per month. For 9% is works out to $1678.39 so she would save the difference x $300.

AM

Last edited:
Here are the headings

Payment#/ Periodic Payment/ Interest Paid/ Principal Paid/ Outstanding Princip

If all these heading are in cell 1 (ex A1, B1, C1, etc) for this question what formula will I put in the interest paid cell C2? i= Outstanding balance*?? what is the rate I input here? How much will the payment number go up to?

aisha said:
Here are the headings

Payment#/ Periodic Payment/ Interest Paid/ Principal Paid/ Outstanding Princip

If all these heading are in cell 1 (ex A1, B1, C1, etc) for this question what formula will I put in the interest paid cell C2
for c2 use: e1*.09/12 (interest paid)

for d2 use: b2-c2 (principal paid)

for e2 use: e1-d2 (outstanding principal balance)

AM

I did everything Andrew said But I want to know how many payments will there we how do I know how far to extend my table? I entered all those formulas in the correct spot but when I use the fill down command to fill the table in interest paid it stays $1500 until cell 25 and then starts increasing same with outstanding principal instead of getting smaller its getting bigger same with the principal paid it stays the same $0.00 until 25 cell What am I doing wrong? :cry:

aisha said:
I did everything Andrew said But I want to know how many payments will there we how do I know how far to extend my table? I entered all those formulas in the correct spot but when I use the fill down command to fill the table in interest paid it stays $1500 until cell 25 and then starts increasing same with outstanding principal instead of getting smaller its getting bigger same with the principal paid it stays the same $0.00 until 25 cell What am I doing wrong? :cry:
Nothing. Blame your teacher who gave you the problem. For $200,000 at 9% you will never pay it down with a $1500 monthly payment. The principal does not decrease - it just covers the interest. So payments go forever. For 7% you will need about 259 lines.

The number of months to pay it down is:

[tex]N_m = -\frac{ln(1-(P/A)(i/12))}{ln(1+(i/12))}[/tex]

Where:
i = interest rate
P = principal
A = amount of each payment
N_m = number of months

AM

[tex]N_m = -\frac{ln(1-(P/A)(i/12))}{ln(1+(i/12))}[/tex]

Where:
i = interest rate
P = principal
A = amount of each payment
N_m = number of months

What is that ln before the brackets? Where did u get this formula?
My question say
b) how long will it take to repay the loan
c)How much will be the final payment
d)Determine how much interest she will pay for her loan
e)Graph amortization of the loan (hint:eek:utstanding principal vs month)
f)How much sooner would the loan be paid if she made a 15% down payment?
g)How much would vanna have saved if she had obtained a loan 7%/a compounded monthly?

HOLY MOLY HOw do I answer all these question if I can even get the table right ahhhhhhhhhh
By the way I did email my teacher for help :cry:

aisha said:
What is that ln before the brackets? Where did u get this formula?
ln is natural logarithm. You'll find it on your calculator.

My question say
b) how long will it take to repay the loan
Forever.

c)How much will be the final payment
There is no final payment. It goes on forever.
d)Determine how much interest she will pay for her loan
She will pay an ever increasing amount of interest. $1500 more every month.
e)Graph amortization of the loan (hint:eek:utstanding principal vs month)
It is a flat horizontal line. The principal stays at 200k
f)How much sooner would the loan be paid if she made a 15% down payment?
Use the formula to find out how long it would take. Or work it out on the spread sheet. But you can't answer the question because the first loan never gets paid.
g)How much would vanna have saved if she had obtained a loan 7%/a compounded monthly?
You can't answer this question because she would pay an infinite amount at 9%.

HOLY MOLY HOw do I answer all these question if I can even get the table right ahhhhhhhhhh
You got the table right. Your frustration is the result of a poorly designed problem.

AM

lol I think I am going to take your last post and email it to the principal if the teacher thinks its possible to do thanks soo much lol the whole assignment is like this all of the questions make no sense haven't u seen my other post on the lottery with two payment options? I don't know what the teacher was thinking when she made this assignment, must have been sleeping

FAQ: How to Create an Amortization Table for a Mortgage Loan with Blended Payments

1. What is an amortization table?

An amortization table is a table that shows the breakdown of loan payments over time, including the amount of each payment that goes towards the principal amount and the amount that goes towards interest.

2. Why is an amortization table important?

An amortization table is important because it helps borrowers understand how their loan payments are applied towards the principal and interest, and how much they will owe over time. It also allows borrowers to see the impact of making extra payments or adjusting the loan term on their overall loan balance.

3. How is an amortization table calculated?

An amortization table is calculated using the loan amount, interest rate, and loan term. The formula takes into account the interest rate and loan term to determine the amount of each payment that goes towards the principal and interest. This calculation is repeated for each payment until the loan is fully paid off.

4. Can an amortization table be used for any type of loan?

Yes, an amortization table can be used for any type of loan that has regular payments and a fixed interest rate. This includes mortgages, car loans, and personal loans.

5. What information is included in an amortization table?

An amortization table typically includes the payment number, payment amount, breakdown of principal and interest for each payment, remaining loan balance, and the total interest paid over the life of the loan. It may also include additional information such as the loan start date and any extra payments made.

Back