How to create clouds as background in matlab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter khurram usman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, Khurram is new to using MATLAB and is working on a project involving creating graphics for a game. He is looking for help in drawing moving clouds in the background, as he is not familiar with any function to do so. Procedurally generating clouds using techniques such as perlin noise and gaussian blur is recommended, and scrolling the image can create the illusion of movement. A Google search for 'procedurally generated clouds' can provide more techniques.
khurram usman
hi everyone, i started using MATLAB about 3 months ago and am just aware of the basic computing i.e. for loops , while loops, if conditions. i have been given a game as a project. i was thinking of drawing its graphics first. i wanted to draw moving clouds in the background. i do not know any function to draw this nor could i think of any way to somehow create my own function. kindly help me in doing that. regards, khurram

Physics news on Phys.org
Clouds are usually procedurally generated by filling the screen with perlin noise, doing a guassian blur and then clipping the low-end colors to be transparent. To make them move you can just scroll the image.

Google 'procedurally generated clouds', you'll find lots of techniques.

FAQ: How to create clouds as background in matlab?

1. How do I create a cloud background in Matlab?

To create a cloud background in Matlab, you can use the "imnoise" function to generate random noise patterns. Then, you can apply a threshold to the noise image to create different shades and shapes of clouds.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the clouds in Matlab?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the clouds by adjusting the parameters of the "imnoise" function and the threshold value. You can also add other effects, such as blur or color filters, to make the clouds look more realistic.

3. How can I incorporate the cloud background into my plot or graph?

To incorporate the cloud background into your plot or graph, you can use the "imshow" function to display the image of the clouds as the background. You can also adjust the transparency of the image to make it blend in better with your plot or graph.

4. Is there a way to animate the cloud background in Matlab?

Yes, you can animate the cloud background by creating a loop and updating the noise image with different parameters in each iteration. This will create the illusion of moving clouds.

5. Can I save the cloud background as an image file in Matlab?

Yes, you can save the cloud background as an image file by using the "imwrite" function. This will allow you to use the cloud background in other programs or projects.